Can I safely clean Local Settings\Temp?

pudelein

On my Windows XP Home SP2 system, under my own administrator-class account, there is a folder Local Settings\Temp which is not cleaned by CCleaner. I know that I can add it to CCleaner if I wish. However, before doing this I wanted to solicit opinions on the value of the apparent trash remaining therein. It is currently about 11.5 MB and seems to be full of leavbings from installing Firefox extensions (.xpi files) and other detrirus.

I had a similar problem. When I ran ccleaner ('analyze') it DID tell me it was going to delete LOCAL SETTINGS/TEMP files (which were huge...640MB). I choose not to run the actual cleaner. Then when I ran it minutes later it DID NOT select these files.

Please correct me it seems like I'm using your post to answer my question. Am hoping someone can answer the actual LOCAL SETTINGS/TEMP files question for both of us (am new to this forum).

• Moderators
I had a similar problem. When I ran ccleaner ('analyze') it DID tell me it was going to delete LOCAL SETTINGS/TEMP files (which were huge...640MB). I choose not to run the actual cleaner. Then when I ran it minutes later it DID NOT select these files.

22245[/snapback]

CCleaner will detect junk files located in your user profile 'Local Settings\Temp' folder. You'll need to run CCleaner during a session in each user account in order for it to delete the junk in those folders for each and ever user.

About the files disappearing or becoming unselected, are you sure you didn't click the big 'Run Cleaner' button beforehand.

Edit:

Sorry to add any confusion! Maybe CCleaner won't detect those files in that folder. I forgot I've had it set since the beginning of my CCleaner usage on my system in 'Options->Custom' to delete that folders contents.