URGENT! Partition Help Needed

Tom AZ

I desperately need some help. I won't go into all of the details as to what has happened (and I'm not positive I even know for sure). However, here's what it seems to be tied to... I "Stopped" a running Service yesterday because it was using too much memory (couldn't change it from Automatic to Manual). I knew what the Service was related to (Returnil RVS 2011), and didn't think it would be too much of a problem because I wasn't using that app all the time. However, after Stopping the Service, I noticed a few strange things going on, so I restarted it again.

As a result, it appears that somehow my C:\ partition was cloned and now I have a Z:\ partition, which looks like an exact duplicate of the C:\ partition.

What do I do?? How do I get rid of the Z:\ partition and get my system back to where it was? I'm using Windows XP SP3

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

I don't use Returnil myself Tom so I cannot advise on this. I know a few here do including DennisD.

The official Returnil forum is over on Wilders

Here for current release problems

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101

and here for general problems.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103

May be a good idea to post there as well as it is urgent.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Tom, I use Returnil 2011. The Z:\ partition is always created when you start Virtual mode and is (supposed to be) only the size you've set in Virtual mode > Settings. That partition is dismounted when you reboot your pc.

Are you reporting that Z:\ partition remains after rebooting your pc? If so, try resetting the partition to 0% and reboot your pc.

Are you reporting that Z:\ partition remains after rebooting your pc? If so, try resetting the partition to 0% and reboot your pc.

That's exactly what's happening. I've rebooted multiple times and it's still there and my free space on C: has decreased by the same amount. Where do you reset the partition to 0%.

• Moderators

I'm still using Returnil 2008 Tom, and I'm staying with it permanently, so I couldn't give any definitive advice on the 2011 version.

All I can say is I have always had Returnil configured to never create a virtual partition as I don't need one with having other drives and partitions to use for downloading or saving to while Returnils running.

As Hazel says your best option is the official Returnil forum in the event of not being able to fix it using Kroozers advice.

Fixing isn't the right word really, it probably just needs reconfiguring.

I'm still using Returnil 2008 Tom, and I'm staying with it permanently, so I couldn't give any definitive advice on the 2011 version.

Dennis-- as indicated above, I have corrected my problem.

Actually, I was also using Returnil 2008 until just about a week ago when I got curious and wanted to try RVS 2011. This is not the version with AV and all that other stuff. This version pretty much focuses on virtualization. However, when I went to install it, it insisted that I first remove the 2008 version. And for obvious reasons, I could not do any of this in a virtualized mode, so that's how I got to where I am today.

Now, because I no longer have 2008 installed, I do have a question for you. With 2008, is the Service, "rvsmon.exe" constantly running on your computer? This is one thing that's been frustrating me more than anything else with the new version (in addition to the fact that there is no option to install it as "memory" virtualization). Anyway, "rvsmon.exe" runs constantly now and uses anywhere from 25MB-32MB of ram, even when I'm not using Returnil. And, it doesn't let you change this service setting from Automatic to Manual.

Anyway, when you get a chance, let me know if that service also runs constantly with 2008? I may just have to go back to that version. Thanks!!

• Moderators

The only thing running with Returnil 2008 is "Returnil.exe".

I don't have rvsmon running at all. The mon bit usually denotes a monitoring service, and I think it came into the frame with either Returnil 2010 or 2011.

There's some advice here on how to correctly uninstall it if that's what you want to do.

Uninstall Returnil 2011: (Wilders)

And there aren't many downloads of Returnil 2008 around now, but the one in my signature is still active. On the page, it's the Server 1 or Server 2 download.

EDIT: You might recognize that thread at Wilders Tom. I've just noticed who started it. :)

And there aren't many downloads of Returnil 2008 around now, but the one in my signature is still active. On the page, it's the Server 1 or Server 2 download.

Thanks, Dennis, that's good to know. Now, I just have to decide what to do. Actually, I still have the 2008 installer, so that wouldn't have been a problem.