Defrag System Files

Hello, I've been using this program for about a month now and I have noticed that certain files such as hiberfil.sys or pagefile.sys are not Defragmented when I run the Defraggler tool. Eventually, I found a program called PageDefrag which basically Defrags specifically the .sys files upon reboot. This fixed my hiberfil.sys fragmentation but I still cannot find a way to defrag pagefile.sys.

{LINK REMOVE BY MODERATOR}

(The URL was not to deter others from using this program but merely to show others / Piriform exactly what I am talking about and how they could possibly add this idea to their program)

What I'm saying is, if Defraggler could fix these files it would save me and others the time of having to try to find another program that can fix them. It would also optimize system performance, giving the users more likelihood of continuing to use this program.

Thank you for taking the time out to read this. I hope you take this idea and place it into the Defraggler tool. Have a nice day! :D

Life may not be fair, but the least we can do is make games fair.

--Me

• Moderators

You should be able to do this with Defraggler 2.0's boot-time command. Note I don't think defragging hiberfil is a good idea.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...

The way to have pagefile.sys in 1 fragment is to recreate it in the System Advanced Performance Virtual Memory Tab, setting a fixed size (set Min & Max size to same value), after defragging so there's large free space available. You may need to create a pagefile in a seperate disk partition temporarily (or with enough RAM disable pagefile altogether temporarily).

Turning off the hibernation facility, to remove hiberfil.sys, and then re-enabling it after finishing file & free space defragging, and then hibernating the system right away; has worked for me.

Whilst I agree, that large files broken into huge chunks are NOT a real performance problem, them showing up as red and inflating the reported fragmentation figure of defraggler, is irritating and tends to mask excessive fragmentation of small cache files and the like. Having the huge files in single pieces tends to reduce the number of holes to fill, and make it more likely other files won't be fragmented later.