CCleaner installation issue

tomn

I've been using CCleaner for a couple years now and I didn't really notice it until my brother who uses a separate user account on this computer, showed me that he has two copies of CCleaner (Icons) on his desktop. Apparently when updating or installing new versions it's putting 2 on his desktop and just one on mine, or in the case of updating it's just overwriting. I clicked on both of his copies and both are the latest version. I tried uninstalling CCleaner using Revo uninstaller (medium mode) and everything on both accounts was deleted. I re-installed and same thing, one icon on my desktop and two on his.

How can I stop this from installing two copies on his user account?

• Moderators

It's not.

In one install (the older version) it put a shortcut to ccleaner on HIS desktop

In the next install (the newer version) he asked it to "install for all users" which placed a shortcut on the Shared "All Users" Desktop

to fix this issue

Windows XP:

2. right click on the start menu (while signed into his account)
  3. Choose Explore
  4. Click on the Desktop folder under his username
  5. delete ccleaner shortcut

Windows Vista/7:

2. Sign in to his account
  3. Open the user folder (the one that contains documents, pictures etc)
  4. double click "desktop"
  5. Delete the ccleaner shortcut

this should leave only one shortcut on his desktop

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Ok, that deleted one of the shortcuts on his desktop. Now my question is, how do I prevent this from happening again? I am usually the one that does any updating of new versions. The only place i see in the installation process that relates to this is where it gives you install options and has a bunch of the options ticked.

The option for "Create shortcut on desktop" which is defaulted as ticked. I'm assuming this should be un-ticked on any future updates or am I missing something elsewhere?

• Moderators

Ok, that deleted one of the shortcuts on his desktop.

This doesn't make me feel as though you followed my directions. if that is true, then you may or may not have deleted the correct shortcut

If that is not true than you should not have this issue again

Now my question is, how do I prevent this from happening again? I am usually the one that does any updating of new versions. The only place i see in the installation process that relates to this is where it gives you install options and has a bunch of the options ticked.

The option for "Create shortcut on desktop" which is defaulted as ticked. I'm assuming this should be un-ticked on any future updates or am I missing something elsewhere?

You are indeed missing something elsewhere, though it is an easy thing to overlook.

As I stated, previous versions did not allow you to "install for all users". This is what caused the shortcut to appear on his desktop. The newest versions installs for all users by default (and can be switched by pressing the Advanced buttonon the add shortcut screen of the installer). This is what created the icon on your desktop and the second icon on your brother's.

As long as you did my instructions above and do not change the setting for install on all users. you should not encounter this again.

However if I am wrong, and one of the shortcuts was named Ccleaner (2) then ther really were two icons on one desktop. However as you didn't state that one of them was named that I am confident that I am correct.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com