AVG scan

incy wincy

Hi guys,

today when doing my weekly scan i noticed in avg that when it started to do the scan as it runs down the system saying "quick checked"inC:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32dll which i have 2 of.one of them says result ok yet the other one says changed .I have not noticed this before what is it?thankyou.

Is it shell32.dll or shell32dll?

Spyware Blaster blocks cookies and ActiveX, CWShredder looks for the CWS Variants, CCleaner wouldn't touch it. ewido has a chance of detecting if it's a virus or trojan.

The problem here is what we know about it is little to nothing. shell32.dll is a legit Microsoft file. Mine is located in the system32 directory. However my dllcache directory doesn't have that file.

Often viruses will mask themselves as a legit file. In this case it could be that shell32dll (not shell32.dll) may be a virus. That's why I recommended scanning it with eTrust.

You're welcome. You could just ignore it, too. I had 5 of those "change" entries for a long time before I bothered to do anything about them. It's not like they do anything...

I don't want to disparage Tarun's advice, he knows a lot more about computer security than I do.He's just not a fan of AVG, and maybe a little quick to assume there's a problem with it. I'm sure he's correct that eTrust is a better AV, and it's got a 1 year free trial, which is not a bad deal.