How do I recover deleted entries?

Pandorian

So I accidentally deleted a few entries within the uninstall programs tool and now they won't show up in CCleaner or in my programs list. I can't uninstall them within "Program Files" because the uninstallers won't run, and I can't delete them because they're "in use". Someone please help me solve this problem!! :(

Sincerely frustrated,

Lucas

Hi Lucas,

Have you uninstalled or installed any programs within the past couple of days? If not, then your best bet is to reboot into Safe Mode and then do a System Restore using a restore point which is no older than the past day or so before you deleted those entries using CCleaner. Note that before doing this and if there are any important new or modified documents or files which you have created on your computer in the past couple of days, first put copies of those files in a directory called C:\TEMP. Why? System Restore ignores temporary directories and isn't supposed to wipe out any temporary directory contents when you restore to an earlier point in time.

In any event, this gives you an alternative option to resolve your issue, but I prefer that you first simply try reinstalling the programs in order to recreate the Add or Remove Program entries.

• Moderators

If a System Restore does the job, then that's fine, but if not, hazel's right.

You can install most software straight over an old version when updating, and because of that, reinstalling over a program with a problem will usually replace or repair missing items.

It may not work if an installation is badly corrupted, but in your case it would be OK. If a program shouldn't be installed over a current installation, the install process, if not the documentation, will usually tell you this. Well written programs do.

Something to remember in case you ever hit the problem again.