hundreds of files

jean1955

Recuva found hundreds of files for me to recover...i'm computer illiterate and don't know which files are important and which are not...BUT, i know i want my pics back...is there an easy way to check all the .jpg files instead of going thru and choosing one at a time?

i meant is there an easy way to "check" all those files? is there an option to "select all"?

i'm also trying to recover my e-mail program e-mail addresses and folder contents...can anyone tell me how to do that?

• Moderators

Hi jean, and welcome to Piriform.

Have a read of my first experience of using Recuva, and try setting it up as I did in that post:

Change the view mode in Options to "Tree View", and under "Actions\Recovering", check "Restore Folder Structure".

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=23991

This allows you to browse straight to the original location of the files, as the display after scanning, mirrors the folder structure of the drive from which you deleted the files.

If they were deleted from the same folder, you could then just check the folder itself, for example "My Pictures", and try recovering that. I found that recovering a small number at a time (in my case mp3 tracks), worked better than trying to get them all together

oh Dennis...i wish i had seen your post sooner...i went thru and recovered all the picture files and ending up clicking about 2,00 files....i then realized that there are duplicate and triplicate files and probably more...i was planning to continue to try and figure out which files i already recovered and which i didn't tonight when i get home from work.If i can recover the folders instead of each individual picture, I'll be soooo happy!

• Moderators

Have you been recovering everything into the same folder jean?

If I'm understanding what you mean, it may be worth making a new folder, and try the recovery again to avoid having lots of versions of the same files. Keep the ones you already have of course.

I'm guessing you may be making each recovery attempt to the same location, resulting in the duplicates, and I hope you're recovering to a different drive, to avoid overwriting any you don't have yet.

At the end of the day, you may just have to accept having multiple copies of the same file, which is better than losing them completely. Maybe over time you can weed out some of the duplicates.

If I've read this wrong, explain as best you can what you've done exactly, where you're recovering the files to, and have you managed to retrieve everything as far as you can tell?

Using the "tree view" and "restore folder structure", should enable you to check the box relevant to the folder your files were in, and everything deleted from that folder (if not overwritten) should in theory be found and recovered.

A scan on my C: drive shows a couple of sub folders I recently deleted from "My Pictures". Checking the "My Pictures" box will attempt to recover all deleted photos from that folder:

yV8ABs.jpg

The actual folder box is the only one you need to check. Recuva will put a check mark in the other boxes shown.

Apologies if I'm off the mark here jean, as I'm guessing as to what your situation is exactly.

• 4 weeks later...

i meant 2,000 files

Depending on what setting you have set in Options... you may actually be seeing photos that were never deleted.

Make sure to uncheck SCAN FOR UNDELETED FILES. This option is for recovering undeleted files from crashed disks... not functioning disks where photos were actually deleted.

Another way of telling is if in OPTIONS > INTERFACE > LIST VIEW mode

you can check one of the columns that may be hidden from view and it will reveal their STATE... as deleted or not.