Defraggler starts fast then slows down

eL_PuSHeR

Hello.

I am posting in this section because I am not sure whether this is a bug or not.

I am running Defraggler 1.19.192 under Windows XP SP3 and I have noticed that while Defraggler starts at a very good pace using the DEFRAGMENTATION option (not the QUICK one) it slows down to a crawl after 25% defragmented for my E: 100GB NTFS partition (it is a games only partition - with many small files like the ones from Steam), which isn't that much fragmented. It seems that it's moving some small files to fill gaps but I do not know why it's doing it at snail speeds. No wonder it is going to take a few hours to defragment an almost already defragmented partition.

I have attached a screenshot detailing the zone where Defraggler is slowing down, highlighted green.

Also chkdsk reports:

104856220 KB total disk space.

61166608 KB in 84949 files.

29968 KB in 1995 indexes.

0 KB in bad clusters.

184500 KB in use by the system.

Best regards.

defraggler.th.png

Have you check the "File list" perhaps you have 1000s of small files to defrag??

Richard S.

I don't know if Defraggler would move them. But there are not fragmented.

EDIT: I have checked the file list and there are only about 130 files there. Not a big deal for taking so much time. I will keep using Windows Defrag which performs ok for me until this issues are sorted out.

Followup:

I don't know what placement algorithm Defraggler uses but it seems that almost every file on the partition is moved up and down when full defragmentation is selected. When filling gaps it would be wise to fill up the first gaps choosing blocks at the end of the disk. Otherwise you move the same clusters over and over again on subsequent deframentation passes. At least this approach should be an option under configuration.

I don't know if Defraggler would move them. But there are not fragmented.

EDIT: I have checked the file list and there are only about 130 files there. Not a big deal for taking so much time. I will keep using Windows Defrag which performs ok for me until this issues are sorted out.

Followup:

I don't know what placement algorithm Defraggler uses but it seems that almost every file on the partition is moved up and down when full defragmentation is selected. When filling gaps it would be wise to fill up the first gaps choosing blocks at the end of the disk. Otherwise you move the same clusters over and over again on subsequent deframentation passes. At least this approach should be an option under configuration.

Well I hope this is my last update for now: This issue is the same when fragmentation = 0% and the file list is empty. It's the "filling gaps" phase that is slow as hell.