Defragging SVI folder? / defrag free space

Patato12

In previous posts, is often said that System Volume Information can't be defragged, but i can do this. is there a permission/security problem? (WinXP SP3 with only 1 user with administrator privileges)

Why if i do a "defrag freespace" operation, the size of fragmented files increase?

• 2 weeks later...

In previous posts, is often said that System Volume Information can't be defragged, but i can do this. is there a permission/security problem? (WinXP SP3 with only 1 user with administrator privileges)

Why if i do a "defrag freespace" operation, the size of fragmented files increase?

I think it differs per OS. Normally users cannot get into SVI but then some can. I don't think there was an inability to defrag SVI, however I think it caused an enormous heap of data to get reproduced & cloned etc. As to the free space, I'm clueless :(

SVI files are just temp files. I've asked this question before, many months ago, and I will repeat. Why defrag a temporary file? It will be deleted in a few days. Even if you could defrag those files you would not notice any performance improvement.

SVI aren't temp files - they are System Restore Points, and Shadow Copies on Vista/7. wink.gif

If they are not temporary files why are they deleted every few days? I get at least one new one every day and it deletes an average of one older point every day. That's not temporary? To me, any file that lasts a week or so is temporary - a temp file.

Well, if you have too much files (I think the default is 15% of the drive - not sure though) it will delete the older ones to create new ones wink.gif

Piriform French translator

Well, if you have too much files (I think the default is 15% of the drive - not sure though) it will delete the older ones to create new ones wink.gif

I am fully aware of this. My Vista holds SVI between 13% and 15%. But, my slant on this remains, that they are just temporary files because they exist for only a few days.

It is customary for English speakers to shorten (abbreviate) words to speed communication. Temp is an abbreviation of temporary. So any file that exists for a very short duration, here we are talking one week or so, is temporary, aka temp. :)

So why defrag 'em?

I agree with the fact that it's pointless to defag them ; however, I think "temporary" files when talking about computers are more "files that hold data that will be used for a very short time". I think SVI is rather a backup folder wink.gif

Piriform French translator