Any clue of the increased free space after Wiping?

lukefangbing

Hi, All

I just registered this forum to ask my 1st question.

I ran the CCleaner with 'Wipe Free Space' checked.

Before the run, my C drive was 6.5 GB free, and after that the C drive turned 7.8 GB free.

In detail, I monitored the whole process of the wiping:

Before everything C Drive 6.5 GB free, D Drive 10 GB free.......

Wipe C Drive:

before wiping 6.5 GB free, after wiping 6.5 GB free

Wipe D Drive:

before wiping 10 GB free, after wiping 10 GB free;

however, the C Drive turned 7.8 GB free after wiping D drive.

Anyone has clue about this or similar experience?

I am not unhappy with more free space released :P , just in case I did something wrong.

stop wiping free space

it does nothing for performance. or gives you more space. You should not be doing things that you do not understand.

How ever harsh that sounds doing things you no nothing about messes up pc. DEVS WILL YOU MOVE IT TO TOOLS.

No fate but what we make

Lukefangbing,

""Wipe Free Space"" only overwrites all free space but it doesn't free up any diskspace. However, perhaps one or more System Restore Point(s) were wiped/deleted (by Windows !!!) and that can free up a lot of diskspace. On my computer (Windows XP) such a System Restore Point can occupy anything between 30 and 80 Mb of diskspace.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

On my computer (Windows XP) such a System Restore Point can occupy anything between 30 and 80 Mb of diskspace.

My points are so much bigger - (Vista). A minute ago I had 9 points occupying 18.3 GB. After deleting the oldest one, my 8 points occupied 17.0 GB. Yes, it seems lately my points average around 2 GB each.

• Moderators
I ran the CCleaner with 'Wipe Free Space' checked.

When you run CC you run every option that's selected. Was wfs the only option selected, or did you have any others?

When you run CC you run every option that's selected. Was wfs the only option selected, or did you have any others?

I ran with every option selected.

But my previous experience shown that it will only release limited free space without 'WFS' checked, however this time it release more than 1 GB free in C Drive, which really surprised me.

My points are so much bigger - (Vista). A minute ago I had 9 points occupying 18.3 GB. After deleting the oldest one, my 8 points occupied 17.0 GB. Yes, it seems lately my points average around 2 GB each.

My system is XP, so how big can the restore point be? since I got a more than 1 GB free space released after the Wiping.

stop wiping free space

it does nothing for performance. or gives you more space. You should not be doing things that you do not understand.

How ever harsh that sounds doing things you no nothing about messes up pc. DEVS WILL YOU MOVE IT TO TOOLS.

Thx for your opinion, I will take careful consideration in using CC later WFS later

My system is XP, so how big can the restore point be? since I got a more than 1 GB free space released after the Wiping.

I haven't a clue. I didn't pay that much attention on my old XP. On this Vista unit it did use about 21.7 GB (15% of C partition) for 20 or so points. Now far fewer points, close to half, will occupy that space.

• Moderators
I ran with every option selected.

It would help if you could run Analyse before running wfs, so you could see how much data is to be removed. CC will delete data on your sys drive but not your other (d) drives.

Thx for your opinion, I will take careful consideration in using CC later WFS later

Sorry that sounded very harsh of me. I was not in the slightest. (i often come off wrong)

Just always research what you are doing. If you had of done this time. You would of realized it was pointless to run it :)

No fate but what we make

I haven't a clue. I didn't pay that much attention on my old XP. On this Vista unit it did use about 21.7 GB (15% of C partition) for 20 or so points. Now far fewer points, close to half, will occupy that space.

I checked today and I have two System Restore Points (Windows XP). One occupies 54 Mb and the second is 175 Mb in size. I used a special explorer program (ExplorerXP) to see how much diskspace these points occupy.

As a result of this discussion in this thread a suggestion surfaced.

Perhaps CC could show the amount of diskspace each System Restore Point occupies as well. I think that would be most helpful.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!