CCleaner - proposal to introduce two options

• Moderators
I proposes introduce

-registry defragmentation

-create a registry backup

As has been said the billion other times it has been suggested registry defragmenation is a myth. It does nothing and can cause issues computers and not any better for it

On point two, why would one need a complete Reg backup via a garbage cleaner? if you want a reg backup use eRunt instead of mucking/bloating ccleaner with a feature most would not use at all or even misuse. Ccleaner does what it does well and does backup the indvidual entries you may wish to remove just incase.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

It's utterly pointles reg defrag

Que 20 people arguing the importance of this 0.000003% performance boost it could give

No fate but what we make

I proposes introduce

1. I agree with others that defragmenting your registry is a waste of time. (Although I will note that resizing the registry hive - defragging it / whatever you want to call it - DOES remove the slack space in the hive that might still contain sensitive information.)

That said, CCleaner does NOT need to do this. Go get NTREGOPT if you want.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

I think you can even export your registry as above, then re-import the whole thing using regedit. (Make a good backup of your whole drive before messing around with your registry, no matter which option you choose.)

In fact, given your lack of knowledge about the registry, I'd suggest you not mess with your registry at all. You can cause serious problems.

2. CCleaner already does reg backup for its changes. If you want to backup your EXISTING registry, "run" regedit.exe. Select the top-most node (very top entry on the left). Go to file->export, make sure the button at the bottom is set to "ALL" and choose a file name. Done. No need for this feature to be in CCleaner, it's unnecessary.

EDIT: In fact, just use ERUNT (as someone two posts down pointed out!). I already provided the link above. It probably is safer, as the fellow below noted.

I proposes introduce

If this idea were implemented at all, I think it would be much better to introduce that to Defraggler, as it would be a part of defragging a drive, so having a utility that would defrag the drive + the registry would complete the package.

But I heard there may be problems with defragging the reg? However, it definitely would be a cool feature if added.

If you want to backup your EXISTING registry, "run" regedit.exe. Select the top-most node (very top entry on the left). Go to file->export, make sure the button at the bottom is set to "ALL" and choose a file name. Done. No need for this feature to be in CCleaner, it's unnecessary.

I have no arguments with anything you have said, excepting I think it should be supplemented.

I strongly recommend exporting as "Hive" file, not a REG file.

But even better to use ERUNT.

I may be wrong, that there is something special I am not aware of with the top left corner,

BUT my experience when exporting a particular key and all values and sub-keys within is that permissions are not preserved by a REG file, but they are with a HIVE file.

I think I can guarantee that if a chunk of the registry is damaged,

a REG file will not correct permissions issues, and could even be blocked if access is denied.

If you export the whole registry as a HIVE then you can probably restore normality by importing,

but life could be complicated if the whole registry had access denied.

I think ERUNT is the best bet to resurrect the registry.

Alan