CCleaner accesses floppy drive when Run Cleaner is pressed and any secure file deletion option is selected.

jmjsc

Note that free space wiping is not enabled for the floppy A: and nor for any other drive. I am on Win7 x64.

Yes, yes, I know I am a dinosaur who still has a floppy drive, but this has been annoying me for a long time now so I finally registered and posted this. I wouldn't have been annoyed except for the fact that the floppy drive makes a really annoying noise. It's like a fart or something. Anyway, please let me know if any more info is needed or whatever.

• Moderators

I don't have a floppy but here goes:

I don't think it's a CC fault. I used to have a floppy on my old pc and it too clattered on occasion, startup etc. I stopped this by altering the boot sequence in the bios from a;c;scsi to c, and boot up floppy seek to disable. Maybe there's something there that can stop the a drive being searched by default.

• Moderators

Dunno. But the secure file delete operation involves renaming the file, opening for edit/update, overwriting the contents, saving, and deleting, and there's a great deal more in that than simple deletion. Possibly NTFS looking for somewhere to write its transaction journals.

Changing boot priority, or even removing the floppy from the boot list, did not help.

The rattling noise from the floppy comes even if CCleaner does delete something or not, that is it happens when I run it again and again and it deletes nothing while still making the rattle.

Not really a CC fault. I have that happen too, but allot of software does that, and it is very annoying.

It's actually annoying enough my next PC won't have a floppy disk drive.

I dont think you'll have to search hard for one that doesn't have a floppy disk drive in 2010 :lol:

I have an old tape deck lying around somewhere, 2GB tapes

And a Zip Drive (100mb)

• Moderators
I dont think you'll have to search hard for one that doesn't have a floppy disk drive in 2010 :lol:

I have an old tape deck lying around somewhere, 2GB tapes

And a Zip Drive (100mb)

I hear you. :lol:

I remember the Iomega Zip Drives they were useful in their day as they served as my main backup media, but hopelessly useless nowadays with non-mechanical flash based media. I had a Zip 100MB myself that eventually got the "click of death" which spelled its demise, and I never wanted another one after that.