CCleaner not removing MRU (Win7)

The Cheese Master

Hi

I just got CCleaner 1.27 to do a clean (I did all temp files) and then registry enteries. I made sure that the "MRU" option was ticked then I checked my registry. Some of the MRU's are not cleaned.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache

Also I searched for an application I loaded and I found enteries in the following places (not sure if it's CC job to 'remove' these)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore (Application wasnt audio related)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant (I have compatabilty assistant disabled)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Any ideas?

The point is here, CCleaner does not remove all invalid entries in the registry. Its not its main function but I do agree that it should be a bit better. Maybe 30 better in detecting and fixing issues. A few issues may not have significant results of slowing down your PC. I personally use 3 registry cleaners just to make a deeper clean.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

I have noticed lately that CCleaner finds nothing to clean in the registry except unused file extensions. This is using version 2.27.1070 under Win 7 64 bit. I think it used to find more than that previously. All boxes checked in the cleaner tab. I have removed and installed from a new down load and find the same. The PC in question is used to test various software so many programs are installed and later uninstalled but CCleaner finds no leftover keys. Any ideas short of a OS reload to prove whats wrong?

Thanks

Bill

@wonderwrench - maybe you've already fixed the majority of discrepancies, and the new software you've been un/installing is tidying up after itself properly.

You say ".... prove what's wrong ..." but there may well be nothing wrong! It's certainly not worth an OS reinstall.