Set the "Check for updates" link to use the registered browser.

geeknik

Can you guys please set your check for updates link to use the system's registered browser and NOT Internet Explorer? I get errors every time I click on the check for updates link because I don't have Internet Explorer on ANY Windows Machine in my house. :) Thanks.

• Moderators

Hi geeknik, and welcome to Piriform.

My default browser is Opera, and CCleaner "check for updates" launches Opera each time. Even if you have no IE on your system, which surprises me, you may still have to set whichever browser you use as the default browser either from within the browser itself, or in "Set Program Access and Defaults".

That is if you haven't already done that.

I would go straight to the "Set Program Access and Defaults" window first and check which settings are in there.

Thanks for the welcome! :) I have Firefox set as the default on every system here and CCleaner still tries to launch IE. To make sure I'm not crazy, I just installed XP SP3 in a virtual machine, installed Firefox 3.5.7, set it as the default browser, downloaded and installed an older version of CCleaner, clicked on the check for updates link and it launched IE 6 even with Firefox set as the default browser. Just to make sure the setting stuck, I rebooted the VM, made sure Firefox was the default, launched CCleaner again, and the update link launched IE 6 again.

Have you tryed trying another application that opens a URL in default browser to see if the problem persists?

Have you tryed installing the latest version of ccleaner as your post said you installed a old version.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

You say you don't have IE on any of your Windows computers.

I don't know how you would manage to do that without possibly breaking something. It is so intertwined with Windows itself, including Windows Explorer, that removing or trying to remove it could be the cause of your default browser problems.

I don't know anyone who has tried to do this, so I have to say I'm only surmising, but I would think it's a possibility.

• Moderators

rridgely had the fix to this posted on the forums, I think a couple of times over the years when other people had the exact same issue. I don't remember the specifics but hopefully a search of the forum will find it.