Login not being remembered

Musical

Nope, Ive tried all the settings in FF and Im running no scripts and tried disabling things in that too, which defeats the purpose of using it, all to no avail .... <_< Any more ideas please ???

If dennis suggestion dont work then uninstall No script. It is VERY tempramental. I have personally given up on it.

It kills pages for no reason even if it has full access rights.

Even after uninstalling it i found pages still not to be loading. So i then cleared the addon cache by deleting these 3 files.

"C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*****.default\extensions.cache"

"C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*****.default\extensions.ini"

"C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*****.default\extensions.rdf"

Make sure FF is closed.

No fate but what we make

Hi Denis, thanks for your reply.

Assuming youre meaning when I use CCleaner these get deleted unless added to the exclusion list? If so, I havent run CCleaner since Ive been back here as I'll need to go and update it anywayz. It also can be set in my "whitelist" in FF which I also need to update.

Hi ident, thanks too for your reply .

Mmmmm uninstalling no scripts :( .....awwwww I dont know if I really wanna do this but I'll look into it. Perhaps you could reco a suitable replacement? For years Ive heard a lot of good things and heaps of reco's about no scripts and the benefits for the security conscious such as me, outweigh the nuisances. Looks like its time I brushed up on this info though.

Cheers Musical

Mmmmm uninstalling no scripts :( .....awwwww I dont know if I really wanna do this but I'll look into it. Perhaps you could reco a suitable replacement? For years Ive heard a lot of good things and heaps of reco's about no scripts and the benefits for the security conscious such as me, outweigh the nuisances. Looks like its time I brushed up on this info though.

Cheers Musical

I was pretty annoyed about having to uninstall it. But whats the use of having it if you cannot view the pages you want to.

I'm not saying it is no script doing this. But it's worth doing the 2 steps i said to rule out it is no script causing the issue. You cna always reinstall if the problem persists.

If it is no script then check you are running the latest version. If after everything it still is happening then only you can decide is it worth having.

every time i complain on no script forums with a bug report. I get an update, works fine for a while then problem persists.

Like i said, it might not be noscript for you causing the issue.

"If you want security, use Internet Explorer"

Proberly first time i have seen some one mention that over FF.

No script is not pointles. Not every one wants javascript/Flash and so on being forced in there face.

No fate but what we make

"If you want security, use Internet Explorer"

Proberly first time i have seen some one mention that over FF.

No script is not pointles. Not every one wants javascript/Flash and so on being forced in there face.

IE is more secure than Firefox. It has less security flaws and uses a sandbox to isolate tabs. Take a look at Secunia : 48 flaws in FF 3.5, 22 in IE8.

You maybe don't want JScript, but nowadays it is nearly impossible not to use it. And it is useful.

Piriform French translator

As much as i would love to spend the next 12 pages arguing on the browser wars front. The current subject is FF and resolving why this cookie is not being kept.

Jscript is not useful it is laughable.;)

No fate but what we make

Hey guys a bit of an update...I reinstalled FF latest version along with noscript latest version. What I did do was instead of uninstalling no script I just disabled it (when I was still running the old version) and nah, that didnt help.

Musical

Hi ident,

No, as I said, by disabling noscript it didnt help. However, as explained below, my login is now sticking and I have noscript running.

As Im having trouble viewing 1 other website in that I can go ...website > Forums > Subforum > but when I click on a thread I get an ISP error and cant view it.....so I mucked around with the "whitelist" or block/ allow window in FF and entered some websites that I wanted to allow their cookies. Im 99% sure this has fixed the problem with Piriforum as I found my login had stuck, but I cant figure out why I should have to go this far to keep my login. In other words, other Logins stick without having to enter them in a whitelist so why shouldnt Piriforum?.

Aethec, Not that I know a lot about it but, Ive NEVER heard anyone yet recommend IE over FF either.

Joanne

Hi Aethec, umm yes sorry, I thought I might be stating the obvious, in that of course you have to keep a sites cookies to remain logged in, so it doesnt look like Ive mentioned that clearly. While Im not the most knowledgeable about all this, at least I do know that much about cookies. There is a seperate setting for enabling cookies in FF in general, and then going further and putting them in a whitelist so they are always Kept/blocked. The only other thing I can think of, is if the Piriforum cookie/s is a quickly expiring one like a session cookie maybe???

Not to start a war of words or anything but Im actually interested to know why you say javascript is great and ident does not. Id actually like to learn a bit more from real world people rather than going to a website to learn about it, that has it in their best interest to condone it. In other words Id like an unbiased view. I hear that there are a lot of security issues with it, and I am or try to be as security minded as possible.

Thanks

Musical

I was being facetious. Jscript is crap. Javascript how ever is not(They was refering to jscript as javascript, i was being unfunny). I studied Jscript back in 2002, I have never understood why it was included in our vbscript class. I dont think i have ever seen it used.

Jscript is m$ own version of javascript which i think was started in Internet explorer 3.

Thinking about it i think it was mentioned in our class because we was using the Windows Script engine with vbs and jscript also can use this.

Was a long time ago though.

No fate but what we make

JScript = Javascript. That's only a different name - I find it better because it avoids confusion with Java.

Hence why i was being facetious. I know a few programmers do refer to javascript as jscript. But in case your not aware, jScript is nothing to do with javascript. I was having my own little enjoyment. No offence intended if taken :)

No fate but what we make

JScript = Javascript. That's only a different name - I find it better because it avoids confusion with Java.

JScript, as has been mentioned, is Microsoft's implementation of JavaScript, which is now maintained by Sun. Though functionally very similar they are distinctly different products.

OK guys now youve all got that sorted out, :) maybe you could tell me..... from what I can gather JScript and javascript are so vulnerable to exploitation and yet be so necessary for us all to use... assuming this is correct, where does one draw the line? Some websites let me do all sorts of things with no scripts running at all, but conversely I can have quite a bit of trouble on other websites unless I allow scripts to run. These "look" like they could be trusted but how do I know that.? So is that dividing line chosing on a case by case decision on who we think MIGHT be OK? Are they totally necessary or is they just their to add gloss and glitter and eyecandy that we dont necessarily need.

Soooory for all the questions guys :blink:

Joaane

If you're running a machine with fully patched software (Windows, browser, browser plug-ins like Flash and PDF reader) and appropriate security (firewall and antivirus) then there's no reason to be particularly concerned about running JavaScript from a security point of view.

I think zealous concerns about JavaScript are largely an unfortunate hang-over from the bad old days of early IE versions which had many JS flaws that weren't discovered or patched quickly enough.

Some turn off JavaScript from an annoyance point of view (pop-ups etc) but with the right set of software on your machine then these days there's really no reason from a security point of view to be running with JavaScript off.

JavaScript generally allows sites to offer a richer, easier user experience. Given the current trends in malware, I would have though that statistically you are much more likely to fall foul of some other issue ... and hopefully that hasn't happened to you either :)

Thanks Marmite.

I seem to be doing OK. Well I went to Shields up a couple of days ago and I got all these congrats that my computer was totally stealth, which they said was very unusual, but I guess its seems not when you hang around forums such as these. I ran those top line of tabs tests. I also DL'd leaktest and renamed the little executable like they said and Im all good there too....as far as anything outgoing. I run Kerio, and its a totally rules based FW and only supposed to be usuable for geeks. I aint no geek, but it seems to be working OK for me and thats good enough for me. OF course we have to couple FWs with other things like common sense in not clicking anything we're not sure of. Dont seem to do too bad for an ol girl like me. ;)

Yep sounds like you're doing okay :)

These days most people shouldn't have any trouble getting port stealthing sorted because it generally comes out-of-the-box, either in your software firewall or your router or both. If, like you, you take a healthy interest in security matters then you do get find out what you need just from reading around and from forums like these. The only problem, as with anything on the net, is sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

Because software security is generally getting much better I think far more people are likely to fall for a phishing scam or click on a dodgy software link ... things where it's the user's own action that gets them into trouble. So as you also mentioned, it's very much a case of just applying common sense when you're online.

Happy surfing ;)