I think CCleaner corrupted something in my registry :(

ra4king

I am currently using Windows 7 RC 64-bit on an Dell Inspiron 1525 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz CPU with 4 GB RAM.

Sometime during on of my daily cleaning my registry with CCleaner, I think CCleaner deleted an important registry entry that allows Windows Media Player to rip CDs. I noticed that when I wanted to rip a long-lost CD full of songs, I got the an error that said "Windows Media Player cannot rip one or more tracks on this CD". I tried a couple other CDs I had already ripped and I got the same error. I have ripped CDs successfully with Windows Media Player before installing CCleaner. I suspect it is CCleaner but I am not so sure. Please help!

If you have been keeping the CC backups, they should be saved to "Documents" one by one latest one first, remerge it back to the registry.

If that does not fix the issue it is unlikely a CC problem, try doing a system restore.

fireryone

If you have been keeping the CC backups, they should be saved to "Documents" one by one latest one first, remerge it back to the registry.

If that does not fix the issue it is unlikely a CC problem, try doing a system restore.

Unfortunately at that time, I did not backup the registry and I do not have a System Restore option available because I disabled it.

• Moderators

:blink::blink::blink:

Sometime during on of my daily cleaning my registry with CCleaner

Problem 1. Don't do that. Follow my signature advice

I think CCleaner deleted an important registry entry

See Problem 1. . . also CCleaner doesn't delete anything unless you tell it to

I am currently using Windows 7 RC 64-bit

Problem 2 personally I wouldn't use ANY registry Cleaner on Windows 7 until official world wide release as MANY registry entries are bound to be differently handled in Windows 7 and so it should be properly and completely vetted by Programmers before drastic things like reg cleaning are done

My snarkyness (Though absolutely honest and Importantly TRUE) aside this answer is right on the money. If you've been running a {Gasp Ewwww} daily clean and don't have reg backups from those you need NEVER to do a reg clean again.

I don't believe CCleaner did this but. . . see part 3 of my answer.

And for goodness sake read and follow my signature it'll save your life the next time this happens (or the first time as I don't think CCleaner did this)

WHY ARE you doing daily reg fixes :blink:

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

:blink::blink::blink:

Problem 1. Don't do that. Follow my signature advice

See Problem 1. . . also CCleaner doesn't delete anything unless you tell it to

Problem 2 personally I wouldn't use ANY registry Cleaner on Windows 7 until official world wide release as MANY registry entries are bound to be differently handled in Windows 7 and so it should be properly and completely vetted by Programmers before drastic things like reg cleaning are done

My snarkyness (Though absolutely honest and Importantly TRUE) aside this answer is right on the money. If you've been running a {Gasp Ewwww} daily clean and don't have reg backups from those you need NEVER to do a reg clean again.

I don't believe CCleaner did this but. . . see part 3 of my answer.

And for goodness sake read and follow my signature it'll save your life the next time this happens (or the first time as I don't think CCleaner did this)

WHY ARE you doing daily reg fixes :blink:

thank you for your valuable advice. why is daily cleaning "ewww" and "weird" and stuff? by daily cleaning i do not do Registry cleaning just normal Cleaner. i did not mean to say i do registry cleaner every day. i back up everything i do now :D

• Moderators
thank you for your valuable advice. why is daily cleaning "ewww" and "weird" and stuff? by daily cleaning i do not do Registry cleaning just normal Cleaner. i did not mean to say i do registry cleaner every day. i back up everything i do now :D

:D only daily reg cleaning is ewww not regular cleaning. Y'scared me with the wrong sentence LOL

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

There is nothing right or wrong about daily reg cleaning. I dont suggest it but it's the users choice.

Can i suggest you install ERUNT

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Great application that backs up the registry each time the system loads.

No fate but what we make

Its still fixable if only you can get an info about how to recreate the registry component that has been lost. Why don't you Google search for a solution about what you can do when Windows Media Player can't rip??? Since you have Windows 7, you might as well have Windows Media Center. I'm just not that sure if it can rip. I often use Windows Media Center for watching live TV everyday and sometimes radio but I took little attention to its other functions. But I know it can burn CDs.

Before you make any deletions to the registry, you can make a backup in Registry editor but clicking File and Export. Make sure that you did not highlight just one particular key or subkey cause that will be the only one to be backed up. Make sure that only the Computer is highlighted. This is to back up the entire registry. Be wise to install a third party ripping program as well.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Its still fixable if only you can get an info about how to recreate the registry component that has been lost. Why don't you Google search for a solution about what you can do when Windows Media Player can't rip??? Since you have Windows 7, you might as well have Windows Media Center. I'm just not that sure if it can rip. I often use Windows Media Center for watching live TV everyday and sometimes radio but I took little attention to its other functions. But I know it can burn CDs.

Before you make any deletions to the registry, you can make a backup in Registry editor but clicking File and Export. Make sure that you did not highlight just one particular key or subkey cause that will be the only one to be backed up. Make sure that only the Computer is highlighted. This is to back up the entire registry. Be wise to install a third party ripping program as well.

Actually, Windows Media Center cannot Rip CD's. And yes I do backup the registry every time I clean (which is once a week now :lol: ). And yes because Windows Media Player cannot Rip CD's, I use iTunes now.

Actually, Windows Media Center cannot Rip CD's. And yes I do backup the registry every time I clean (which is once a week now :lol: ). And yes because Windows Media Player cannot Rip CD's, I use iTunes now.

Just to correct your earlier sentiment there, Windows Media Center CAN rip CDs, but to do that you need to play the audio CD via Windows Media Center in the autoplay that appears when you insert the CD. Then choose the Copy CD option that should be in the Windows Media Center screen. But so far I have not found any way that you can individually choose which of the tracks you want to copy. It just rips all of them. They will be saved in the format and bit rate option that corresponds to your Windows Media Player ripping settings. I just don't know for sure if Windows 7 has a more advanced version of Windows Media Center. I have a screenshot to prove it.

Itunes for me has an easier user interface, especially for listening to online radio and watching podcasts. It also gives that Macintosh feel to your desktop.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.