CCleaner query

4n6

CCleaner does not remove or clean the Google Searched Files that I had thought were cleaned and deleted.

Following extensive use of CCleaner over several years - I have accidentally discovered that when utilizing

the Google Desktop Search Tool - I can still find many Files that I thought had been deleted.

I would like to know this too.

Downloaded Google Desktop. Searched Desktop and may of the websites i have visited turn up.

Please try Google Desktop Search for yourself.

I will conduct another test shortly and feedback to you.

I had found that some 100 sites recently viewed were diarised and found via the Google tool.

So no need to be a Forensics expert.

That defeats the entire point of CCleaner.

It is not doing the job it is supposed to do. This is a distinct weakness and flaw.

In fact its almost as good as useless if its not going to Clean the Google Cache.

In fact I tried the CCleaner again after surfing the net - sure enough the Files are still there.

As they say if it seems to good to be true - it probably isn't.

Here's an example of the Files left behind: 1:4664/REDIR File

In fact I tried the CCleaner again after surfing the net - sure enough the Files are still there.

As they say if it seems to good to be true - it probably isn't.

Here's an example of the Files left behind: 1:4664/REDIR File

I may have identified the problem.

On my versions of CCLeaner 2.24.1010 Google Chrome does not appear.

On my old version still on my Laptop 2.17.853 - *Google Chrome cache clean etc is listed.

I wonder why the new version omits this?

And if cleaner cleared you Google desktop cache, you have to continually rescan everything and have longer search times.

I imaging it would be quite a job for ccleaner to compare the Google cache with all the found temporary files then remove them only.

If it can be done then I say it would be a great addition but I don't imagine that would be as easy to implement as just clearing the cache.

As for chrome, I have Chrome 4.0.221.6 (development release) and CC sees it just fine...

fireryone

So is that the conclusion, - that some versions of Google Chrome and Google Desktop Search escapes CCleaner?

All I want is a Cleaner that cleans. And why does the new version I download omit Google Chrome?

This is not a 100% fool-proof cleaner - and should not be touted as the be all end all of Cleaners.

Maybe the whole thing is connected with Google - who knows what goes on behind the scenes..

After all is it in the interest of Big Brother if there is Freeware out there that removes all traces?

So is that the conclusion, - that some versions of Google Chrome and Google Desktop Search escapes CCleaner?

It is a 'Possible' bug,

The "missing" installs may be using a different registry position to the one ccleaner looks for it in, or one of who knows how many PC issues that could be affecting it.

This is not a 100% fool-proof cleaner - and should not be touted as the be all end all of Cleaners.

Don't go getting aggro @ ccleaner, just because it may have missed something, this is where you can and have reported an issue, don't expect it resolved on the spot.

Now that you have reported it it will be possible for the DEV's to investigate.

If a program like Chrome is missing, I'd recommend a full uninstall then run the ccleaner registry clean,

then restart the pc, then re-install Chrome.

If you noticed the program (ie: chrome) disappear after updating ccleaner, uninstall and try a previous version (available on www.filehippo.com ) to confirm.

It may also have been the chrome update that has moved where it's stored or if you installed to another location instead of the "C:\" drive.

fireryone

If a program like Chrome is missing, I'd recommend a full uninstall "of chrome" then run the ccleaner registry clean,

then restart the pc, then re-install Chrome. then the issue.

If you noticed the program (ie: chrome) disappear after updating ccleaner, uninstall and try a previous version (available on www.filehippo.com ) to confirm.

It may also have been the chrome update that has moved where it's stored or if you installed to another location instead of the "C:\" drive.

please try the above tshooting and report back so the dev's and forumites have more info to work on.

fireryone

Listen, this can't be helped - it's a problem that will arise from time to time. The thing is that VLC-player, RealPlayer, Google Chrome have changed their freeware recently. The old path that CCleaner used in order to find the temp files isn't the same anymore. So: these freewares have dropped out of CCleaners list.

I do not have VLC-player (Videolan) installed for the moment, so I can't say if it's back.

But the bottom line is: programs will drop of the list ever so often until CCleaners staff get them back on. They can't do anything. The decisions are made by other companies.

Have patience and wait for the next update. It's not a good idea to use old versions. They are not fitted to mach the new freeware and could cause issues.

Have patience and wait for the next update. It's not a good idea to use old versions. They are not fitted to mach the new freeware and could cause issues.

Its is still quite safe for testing purposes, to verify an issue exists it could be an invaluable trouble shooting step for the dev's.

You may not want to continue using an old version for your reasons but this should not hold back your troubleshooting.

As if using a CC old version works it means they may have changed something

and if using an older version of Chrome works it verifies it is likely Chrome's issue and they should attempt to find out why.

(likely a directory or a registry change)

fireryone