CCleaner Vs. Recuva

Youngbear

Hello!

First, your forum group is sooo on top of it all! You have helped me to better understand my computer in general and how best to select and use Piriform's products - thank you!

One of the items I have checked on my CCleaner's list is to empty my Recycle Bin program. I also have the slower(but it's not that slow) method checked to overwrite items so that they are more secure in their deletion.

Well, I've been so happy with CCleaner that I downloaded Recuva; and not a moment too soon. I lost a document and used Recuva (very user friendly) to find it. I found it, along with truckloads of items, many of them cleaned or deleted from my Recycle Bin. The vast majority in excellent condition and ready to "find" whenever I'm ready to find them. I have to say that I was a bit startled - I thought CCleaner had securely cleaned them off my C drive.

It "appears"" to me that Ruva is saying that CCleaner is not doing what it is supposed to do? Would anyone like to help me to understand this? :o

Also, a suggestion for Recuva, list the found items by last item cleaned/deleted from system first using dates.

If you create a file and use CCleaner to over-write and delete,

THEN Recuva should be unable to retrieve it, and if it can retrieve then CCleaner failed to destroy it.

If you create a file and manually delete it, CCleaner has no chance to destroy it (unless you wipe the disc free space).

Similarly if you EDIT a file, the original version will probably be deleted when the editor closes,

and this original version can only be wiped by a free space wipe.

Personally I have no interest in wiping files,

and now I am retired life is too short to waste on wiping free space.

Alan

If you create a file and use CCleaner to over-write and delete,

THEN Recuva should be unable to retrieve it, and if it can retrieve then CCleaner failed to destroy it.

If you create a file and manually delete it, CCleaner has no chance to destroy it (unless you wipe the disc free space).

Similarly if you EDIT a file, the original version will probably be deleted when the editor closes,

and this original version can only be wiped by a free space wipe.

Personally I have no interest in wiping files,

and now I am retired life is too short to waste on wiping free space.

Alan

Youngbear replies:

Should I understand your reply to mean that if I do not empty the recycle bin, but wait for CCleaner to do it for me, that those files will be properly deleted? Further, if I choose to click on "wipe free space" that if I then run Recuva any other files I may have deleted myself will not be found?

If my understanding is correct, then you have helped me to accomplish a workable system, and I thank you! :P

Youngbear replies:

Should I understand your reply to mean that if I do not empty the recycle bin, but wait for CCleaner to do it for me, that those files will be properly deleted? Further, if I choose to click on "wipe free space" that if I then run Recuva any other files I may have deleted myself will not be found?

If my understanding is correct, then you have helped me to accomplish a workable system, and I thank you! :P

For give my sloppy answer but going to bed,

The answers are yes, No

if ccleaner over wites the file it should not be able to be recovered. Emptying recycle bin normally wont delete a file.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

Ident, do you mean (with answer two) that No, they won't be found, or No, that statement is incorrect? I think you mean the former. (I notice from a later post this evening that you are rather tardy in going to bed.)

It is surprising what can actually be found by Recuva. All those edits, and sys restore copies, pagefile/cache clearouts, etc: Cc will not touch any of these. I'm with Alan, I rarely use secure deletion and I have never wiped. Free space, that is. You spend hours and hours with your disk banging away and the first time you use your pc it needs wiping again. But to each his own.

Youngbear, click on the Last Modified column header, this will sort by date deleted.