CD Auto Insert not working

Keithuk

Ok guys/gals.

For the past week I've had problems with both my CD drives not auto running. Now the Autorun.inf file is correct I just have run the file stated in there. Now normally you can right-click on your CD Rom and select AutoPlay but this option as disappeared. Now on good OS you can check the CD Rom properties in Device Manager and there is a checkbox for Auto Insert on WinXP there isn't. I did a web search for this problem and people were taking about changing the settings in the registry which I did and that didn't work.

I was searching for info on Windows 7 and I came across this Windows XP link at Microsoft. In there they have a Autoplay Repair Wizard on the second page which you download and run. This has the option to select the drive you want to Auto Insert and it works. Now the funny thing is you have to do a restart before you can select another drive. I have 2 DVD writers D: & E: I use E: the most so I enabled that one and it now works.

If this is in the wrong forum please move it for me. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

Microsoft killed off AutoPlay/AutoRun after all the malware infections it causes - I think. It wasn't patched all that long ago either.

Edit: Added the "I think" part since I'm not absolutely sure about them killing it off.

Microsoft killed off AutoPlay/AutoRun after all the malware infections it causes - I think. It wasn't patched all that long ago either.

Well I don't see as that makes much difference if you don't know what in your CD drive.

I've done a restart and enabled D: now the Auto Insert works on that drive, so I'm happy.

I just though I would post that link in case someone else has the same problem. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best