please help - I don't understand!

puligan

my computer started running slow today so I ran cccleaner (I run it daily anyway). It says I need to run chkdsk utility but I don't know how. It says I have corrupt files. I run zone alarm firewall and avg anti virus. I also run daily Advanced System Care and I am XP prof with IE8

apologies if this is posted in the wrong area but any help would be appreciated. I am not REALLY as stupid as this may lead you to believe!! :o

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Chkdsk is a command-line tool that checks volumes for problems & it will also try to repair problems it finds.

You must be logged in as admin to run it.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk at the command prompt

1. Click Start, and then Run.

2. In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

3. Use one of the following procedures:

* To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk, and then press ENTER.

* To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/f, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

* To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

As for zone alarm i class it as a virus in it self. I would not instal it on any machine. How ever some users like it.

AVG is acceptable and alot of users love it. But again with other great FREE AV out there i personal would not use it. Example avast.

Advanced System Care: The thing i hate about these applications is the user assumes the application knows 100% what it is doing and just click start/scan/fix or what ever with out no real research to what they are doing. I have never used or or ever will. Reading up on this site you will benifit from a great deal of knowledge on how to keep your pc running smoothly.

Last but not least IE8..... So many people are having issues with it. I am not saying it has anything to do with your issue but I stringly suggest using firefox or even opera.

For more info on chkdisk please read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

Just do this...

Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check. (usually c\drive)

Click Properties, and then click Tools.

Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,

Choose automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.

Don't worry too much about what software you have installed, it's all personal choice :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

my computer started running slow today so I ran cccleaner (I run it daily anyway). It says I need to run chkdsk utility but I don't know how. It says I have corrupt files. I run zone alarm firewall and avg anti virus. I also run daily Advanced System Care and I am XP prof with IE8

apologies if this is posted in the wrong area but any help would be appreciated. I am not REALLY as stupid as this may lead you to believe!! :o

Hi puligan, welcome to the Forum.

You may find the following link useful in regards to information on chkdsk with XP.

Info on chkdsk

How long have you had IE 8 installed? Like mentioned, a lot of people (including myself) have problems with IE 8. My PC slowed to a crawl and started doing weird things so I uninstalled it (i.e. went back to IE 7) - that immediately cured my problem. Ironically I didn't even need the update in the first place because I use Firefox anyway.

• Moderators
Ironically I didn't even need the update in the first place because I use Firefox anyway.

Still need to keep IE7 patched though even if you don't use it since so many installed programs require it to function, and many rely upon it for updating purposes, etc.

Still need to keep IE7 patched though even if you don't use it since so many installed programs require it to function, and many rely upon it for updating purposes, etc.

Very true and I do always update - just not going to IE8 ;)