Why does Chromium/Chrome install in Local settings/App data?

JDPower

Is it deliberately stupid or is there a way to make it use Program Files like any other normal program?

Have been trying to decide between Chromium and Iron as a secondary browser, had been swayed towards Chromium after trying it (mainly cos it supports themes unlike Iron and don't like the Chrome look) then saw the stupid install directory. Iron installs to program files <_<

If you download Chrome from the Google Pack it installs to program files.

Thing is I was wanting a Chrome alternative (Chromium or Iron) and had decided I preferred Chromium thanks to the themes support making it look less ugly. But if it comes down to a stupid install directory with Chromium or ugly browser installed correctly then I'll have to go for the latter (and hope the Chromium devs eventually see how silly the choice of install directory is)

You can always use the portable version of Chromium so you can install it where ever you want. I prefer portable versions of web browsers actually, to not portable versions.

That's actually what I'm doing at the moment, are the items CCleaner cleans exactly the same as the non portable version (just with the directory you've placed it in being different obviously)?