CheckDisk (chkdsk) problem in Windows XP

Tom AZ

Just recently started having a problem CheckDisk -- specifically the component checking for bad sectors (I assume that's the old ScanDisk program). It seems to run fine through the end of Phase 2 (I don't know how many phases there are). Then, I get this error message: "Windows was unable to complete the disk check."

Any thoughts or suggestions?? Wondering if there could be some "Services" dependencies that aren't active or properly set?

Just recently started having a problem CheckDisk -- specifically the component checking for bad sectors (I assume that's the old ScanDisk program). It seems to run fine through the end of Phase 2 (I don't know how many phases there are). Then, I get this error message: "Windows was unable to complete the disk check."

Any thoughts or suggestions?? Wondering if there could be some "Services" dependencies that aren't active or properly set?

>Open CMD.exe

>Type chkntfs /d > restart

>Type chkdsk /f > restart

It should be OK after all this steps.Or You can go to Rec Console and type chdsk C: /r

Backup your data first.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Is there any other way (or perhaps even a better way) to check for bad sectors besides chkdsk? Are there any other applications that will do this?

What about HD Tune Tom? It has an error scan besides other things.

Link:

I have HD Tune, Dennis, but thanks for the reminder. Also, I'm not sure if that HD Tune scan is a read or write scan. Maybe it doesn't really matter. It would be interesting to know what protocol chkdsk uses in checking for bad sectors??

• Moderators
Thanks for the suggestions.

Is there any other way (or perhaps even a better way) to check for bad sectors besides chkdsk? Are there any other applications that will do this?

I've been looking for such a said application myself since chkdsk runs so slow on my system just doing a normal scan. Most of the tools I've seen are just lame frontends to chkdsk. As of yet I haven't found anything as a replacement which is somewhat of a surprise and an empty gap for freeware to hopefully someday fill like what defrag tools have done.

Although McAfee had some disk error checker back in the Win98 era that I used allot which came with some absolutely awful utilities package they had, it was literally the only good thing in that whole bloated blunder.

• Moderators

HD Tune seems to do a pretty thorough scan for damaged blocks, giving a visual display of the scan as it goes.

It won't do any fixing, but it seems to be a decent indication of the state of a particular drive. I'm just finished doing a scan, and it's taken about 28mins on my 80gb drive, and I'm happy to say I've a full compliment of green boxes.

I've been looking for such a said application myself since chkdsk runs so slow on my system just doing a normal scan.

Actually, I even thought about SpinRite, but that's much more sophisticated -- and it's not really the same kind of tool (and of course, it's not free, either). SpinRite is not just a diagnostic tool, but rather, a highly successful (almost professional) HD surface repair tool. Actually, I own SpinRite, but it's overkill for just doing a quick diagnostic scan -- and as you might imagine, it's pretty slow -- and thorough!!!