ccleaner not reporting correct windows edition

Hi,

I just downloaded the newest version of cclearner yet still have the same problem, when I open ccleaner, it states I am running windows xp professional service pack 2; which I am not, I am running windows media center edition service pack 2, has anyone else seen this, and does anyone know of a fix?

thanks

tom

p.s. when I first started to use ccleaner it stated the correct edition of windows.

• Moderators

It may be something CCleaner is pulling out of the registry or elsewhere which is just my guess. With all the updates and such from Microsoft who really knows, unless someone else using the same XP build chimes in to state otherwise.

• Moderators
Windows Media Center Edition is Windows XP.

That's a given and I'd think the original poster already knows that.

Perhaps the name change reference had something to do with an XP service pack update, or some other critical update.

Welcome to Piriform t,wicks.

I just downloaded the newest version of cclearner yet still have the same problem, when I open ccleaner, it states I am running windows xp professional service pack 2; which I am not, I am running windows media center edition service pack 2, has anyone else seen this, and does anyone know of a fix?

Yes Windows Media Center does come under WinXP.

Ok then just try this little Windows Version.exe app that I made and see what it shows for you. ;)

Windows_Version.zip

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Like Captain Spectacular said, it being windows xp is a given.

ccleaner is reporting I have Windows XP "Professional" edition installed with service pack 2

but

I actually have Windows XP "Media Center" edition installed with service pack 2

It used to report the correct edition, but for some reason, not to long ago, maybe a couple days ago, I see it reporting the wrong edition.

I actually have Windows XP "Media Center" edition installed with service pack 2

It used to report the correct edition, but for some reason, not to long ago, maybe a couple days ago, I see it reporting the wrong edition.

Well I'm not sure how CC gets the operating system but I use API calls which is nothing to do with the registry. I use GetVersionEx API from kernel32.dll which is a common file in all Windows systems.

We would have the ask MrG if he uses that API call. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best