Old Prefetch Data option

razz

You should think about putting the "Old Prefetch Data" option within its own category. It seems to me that for most users clearing this data would cause a decrease in performance rather than help performance. I realize that by default this option is not checked but many users may check it thinking it is beneficial to do so.

Just a thought.

Thank you for a great product!

You should think about putting the "Old Prefetch Data" option within its own category. It seems to me that for most users clearing this data would cause a decrease in performance rather than help performance. I realize that by default this option is not checked but many users may check it thinking it is beneficial to do so.

Just a thought.

Thank you for a great product!

Initially, yes, you might see a slight decrease in performance initially, but eventually your performance, and memory usage (lower) should improve.

Let me explain that sentence....

Sometimes, the layout.ini file in the prefetch dir holds on to some really old files that haven't been accessed in a while, even MPG & AVI files (stuff not really needed to be loaded at boot time). Deleting it usually slows down both your boot time and application loads the next time you reboot, but that's because windows is rebuilding that ini file. If you then use your computer as you normally do (it records the apps loaded frequently), and you then do another reboot. It can then be used by windows defrag, to put those files contiguously onto the drive in one spot in the actual order that they are loaded into memory (including OS boot files), which has the effect of speeding your OS boot and application load times tremendously.

I don't know if CCleaner will delete the layout.ini file itself, as it probably uses it to determine which *.PF files to get rid of (drive space cleaning). I myself like to delete the layout.ini file once or twice a year, do a reboot, work normally for a day or two, and then do another reboot followed immediately by a defrag. After the defrag, you can see anywhere from 10 to 30% boot time/app load speed increase, but your mileage may vary depending on other variables not covered in this post.

• Moderators

It's only 'old' prefetch data (no, I've no idea what old means) so it would have minimal if any impact on performance. By the state of my Layout.ini file I don't think that CC touches it, more's the pity.

• Moderators

From the old CCleaner Beginners Guide:

Old Prefetch Data

In Windows XP a Prefetch file is generated each time an application is run. This helps Windows optimize the application the next time it is executed. Unfortunately these files are not deleted when the applications are removed. This option removes these files for programs that haven't been accessed in 14 days. (This process is very safe and Windows will recreate the files as necessary.)

From the new CCleaner Documents:

Old Prefetch Data - (XP only) To run quickly, Windows uses prefetch files to store information about programs that you frequently use. The Cleaner deletes old prefetch data for programs that no longer exist or haven't been used in a long time.

I would guess the first example, as configuring something to be removed "after a long time", doesn't sound very workable.

On doing some research on the subject I found this.... http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/XPMyths.html#Optimization

Scroll down about half way under the heading "Prefetch - Folder Cleaning", scroll down further to heading "CCleaner".

I could not post a quote here because the site does not want any reproduction of any page. But here is about the author:

Andrew K. is a Computer Analyst who has held various IT level positions and has been using computers for over 25 years starting with the TI-99/4A back in 1981. He has an extensive knowledge of DOS, Windows 3.x, 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP and Vista operatings systems, computer security, computer diagnostics, hardware diagnostics and computer systems analysis. He has supported thousands of clients over the years including end users, educational institutions, governmental organizations and small to medium sized businesses. At last estimate he has taken 30,000+ support calls and worked on and assembled over 5000+ systems, from desktops to servers. His extensive technical knowledge and personal customer related experience has allowed him to seamlessly transfer his knowledge online in a clear and concise way. Computers are not Andrew K's hobby, they are his job.

• Moderators

Mastertech ( as he is also known as) has been banned from many forums including this one razz.

This thread may end up going the same way if we start up the old ''prefetch wars'' of a couple of years ago on this forum

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Upon further research, e.g. google - it appears that the source I quoted may not be reliable concerning some issues.

I think the "Old", as in Old Prefetch Data, says it all. Basically not used often therefore removing it will not hurt performance.

Should have realized that the CCleaner crew knows best.

• Moderators

Well, I looked at my Layout.ini file with its endless list of old and sometimes non-existant files, and decided to put it to the sword. I just right clicked and sent it to the recycler. I rebooted, and the start time was even faster than usual, about 45 secs (I'm on XP). But Layout.ini wasn't there. That was about four hours ago. I've had my dinner and watched a film, and now I'm back on the pc. Layout.ini has reappeared on its own in the prefetch folder, exactly the same 203 kb size, with a create time of 18.57 today, and appears to contain the same horrendous list of tat I was trying to remove (the deleted version is still in the recycler). It includes hundreds of fonts, system restore logs, temp int files, browser favourites, and some files that were deleted a long time ago. All the stuff that have sweet fa to do with speeding up the pc. Where did it come from?

This is a little off topic, but a puzzle none the less.