Clearing Run: files

Keithuk

Hi all.

On Win98SE I clear the Run: files no problem. Run CC do a clean check the Run: dialog and they are all clear.

On WinXP SP2 I do the same but I have to do a restart before they get cleaned. If I go into the registry and clean them myself then check the Run: dialog they are cleaned. How come you have to do a restart? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

This post has been here for 6 days and 180 users have viewed it but no one has made a comment. Does this error only show on my WinXP SP2 at work? ;)

Edit: Update users and days.

Edited by Keithuk

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Logging off then logging back on clears it, but I don't know if that's because I also have the TweakUI Powertoy installed.

Well I don't have TweakUI installed so its nothing to do with that.

Thanks MrRon.

I can make my own app to remove the Run: files as its not rocket science but CC does it straight away on Win98 but not on WinXP. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• 4 weeks later...

This is not a bug and it works as Microsoft says:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142298

Notes from kb:

- Not all of the registry keys listed above may exist. After you delete the values, restart your computer. Make sure not to delete the "(Default)" value.

- You do not have to restart the computer for the Find Files or Find Computer MRU lists to be cleared.

- If you click the Start button, click Shut Down, and then click No, the MRU list for the Run command is cleared.

By the way, after removing the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU" entry either by using CCleaner or editing the registry, I haven't found anything that would cause the list to clear up on my Win98 and WinXP without restarting or logging off or do as the last note suggested.

Thanks

This is not a bug and it works as Microsoft says:

I haven't found anything that would cause the list to clear up on my Win98 and WinXP without restarting or logging off or do as the last note suggested.

That link only talks about Win9x/ME.

It is a bug because I can go into the registry and clean the run files and they disappear immediately, I don't have to do a restart. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best