Startup programs?

magicbus71

Hey everybody. First post.

Im just wondering why ccleaner.exe and uninst.exe are listed in my startup programs? They just appeared on the list a few days ago, and were never there before (Im positive about that, i only have 4 other programs listed).

If i try to disable or delete them, it actually deletes the corresponding file from the c:\program files\ccleaner folder.

Why are they there?

What is actually starting up?

BTW, the Key= Startup User

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

J

Have you had a look in ccleaner>options>settings, to make sure run ccleaner at startup isn't ticked?

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes that was the first thing i looked at. Sorry i forgot to put that in my post.

Sorry I did a search before my post didnt find that.

BTW thats from a year ago with no resolution

Yeah I know, seems this problem is very peculiar. All I know is, that those 2 entries in your Start Up list.. is not from CCleaner. If you've not observed already, the File Path is not listed!

Simplicity is hard.

Ok, its fixed. Heres the solution if anybodys interested. BTW, this machine is runnin vista home premium sp2.

Move the ccleaner start menu folder:

From: C:\Users\"USER NAME HERE"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (User start menu)

To: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (All users start menu)

Step by step:

Right click start menu orb, select "open"

Double click "programs" folder

Right click "ccleaner" folder and select "cut"

Close that window

Right click start menu orb, select "open all users"

Right click on an empty area in the window, and select "paste" (make sure its an empty area, so that you dont paste it into another folder. maximize window if necessary)

Close that window

Open ccleaner, and the 2 files (ccleaner.exe and uninst.exe) will be gone from the startup list.

Note: this will make ccleaner available to all users of the computer, so dont do it if you dont want other users using ccleaner.

I'm not sure why ccleaner does this, where other programs dont. Maybe a ccleaner bug, maybe a windows bug (not likely). Or maybe its intentional, to keep inexperienced users on the pc from runnin ccleaner.

Although there wasn't any problems with havin those files in the startup list, it just bothered me.

Hope this helps somebody. I couldn't find a fix anywhere.

Ok, its fixed. Heres the solution if anybodys interested. BTW, this machine is runnin vista home premium sp2.

Move the ccleaner start menu folder:

From: C:\Users\"USER NAME HERE"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (User start menu)

To: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (All users start menu)

Step by step:

Right click start menu orb, select "open"

Right click "ccleaner" folder and select "cut"

Close that window

Right click start menu orb, select "open all users"

Right click on an empty area in the window, and select "paste" (make sure its an empty area, so that you dont paste it into another folder. maximize window if necessary)

Close that window

Open ccleaner, and the 2 files (ccleaner.exe and uninst.exe) will be gone from the startup list.

Note: this will make ccleaner available to all users of the computer, so dont do it if you dont want other users using ccleaner.

I'm not sure why ccleaner does this, where other programs dont. Maybe a ccleaner bug, maybe a windows bug (not likely). Or maybe its intentional, to keep inexperienced users on the pc from runnin ccleaner.

Although there wasn't any problems with havin those files in the startup list, it just bothered me.

Hope this helps somebody. I couldn't find a fix anywhere.

I am also new to this site. I have two questions that I am sure someone out there can help me with.

1. I am using Internet Eraser. Is this the same as CCCleaner? Will it cause a problem if I download CCCleaner?

2. After reading some of these posts, I am concerned about how to use CCCleaner. I know something about computers, but, am not a guru.

Thank you.