SLOW...stopped after an hour at 0%

I have tried several times to use CCleaner to clean my Temporary Internet Files, and it went so S...L...O...W... that I had to quit. The longest I waited was an hour, and even after that much time the progress bar was at 0%! I'm concerned because it's supposed to run so fast...

I've cleaned a few other types of files and they took at most a couple minutes, so I know the program works. Should I just turn on the cleaner and let it run overnight? My computer is about 9 years old (I know, it's time for a new one) and I haven't done much maintenance. I use the Internet a lot -- could it be so "dirty" that it takes this long?

BTW -- I tried both "Analyze" and "Run Cleaner" modes and had the same problem. The program is not set for secure file deletion. I'm running Windows XP SP2. I've been waiting to update to SP3 till I got some other things cleaned up, but am planning to do this soon.

Thanks for any help!

• Moderators

The slowness could depend upon how many junk files your system has acquired in Temporary Internet Files, and that special system folder can seemingly take forever to clean if it isn't cleaned regularly. You could try to clean it via Internet Explorer's tools first, then run CCleaner after that.

After it's all cleaned up you can reduce the amount of Temporary Internet Files your system is allowed to store on the hard disk to negate very long cleanups in the future. Typically no more than 50MB is needed for cache.

I installed ccleaner to ym nans extremely old pc the other week. It took over 7 hours to complete.

No fate but what we make

Welcome to Piriform lizschmidt.

I have tried several times to use CCleaner to clean my Temporary Internet Files, and it went so S...L...O...W... that I had to quit. The longest I waited was an hour, and even after that much time the progress bar was at 0%! I'm concerned because it's supposed to run so fast...

CC does run fast it just depends on how often you use it.

My computer is about 9 years old (I know, it's time for a new one) and I haven't done much maintenance.

So this is the first time you've used it in 9 years?

As Andavari says it my depend on what is running in the background. How mny icons do you have showing the systray next to the clock. Each one is an app thats running in the background which you don't actually need. Even if you have the virus checker running all the time there isn't a lot of point in that because there will always be a background app thats running that you can't see in the systray. Because its a 9 year old computer (mine is 10 year old) the system resources (memory) won't be high so the more you stop running until you need them the better.

I only use CC once a week and it takes about 10 seconds to clean. Plus there is a slight bug in the lastest version 2.19.901 it doesn't clean all cookies but if you install 2.18.878 it does.

I installed ccleaner to ym nans extremely old pc the other week. It took over 7 hours to complete.

Same thing applies here indent. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best