New bug in latest version?

JCZ

Hi,

I just registered for the forum as I am trying to report something that looks like a bug in CCleaner.

Here is my problem:

I have been using CCleaner to my total satisfaction for a number of years. Currently I am running Vista Business as an operating system, with MS Office 2003 installed.

A few days ago I got the update to the current version 2.19.901 of CCleaner. Whenever I run a cleaning process the MRU list in Excel is deleted, although all check boxes in the "Registry" section are unchecked.

I have traced what is going on and found out that this one particular key in the registry is deleted during the cleaning operation:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Recent Files

Most interestingly no other MRU list, neither within any of the Office programs nor anywhere else, is affected.

I wonder if there is anything the program writers could do about this?

thanks in advance and kind regards from beautiful Vienna,

Johannes

• Moderators

Hi Johannes, and welcome to Piriform.

I removed your email link as we don't reply via email, and you could be spammed unmercilessly by posting it on an open forum.

To solve your problem you could exclude that reg entry from being removed by CCleaner.

Go to CCleaner\Options\Exclude\Add Registry.

Then copy and paste that address into the large box. You must then select the relevant reg hive in the first small box, and then delete the hive name from the beginning of your pasted address. The "OK" button will then become active.

If that doesn't fix it, post back.

From what I can see, and my limited understanding of the winapp file this cleaning process (of the Excel MRU list) IS meant to happen by default. Here is the relevant entry in the winapp file:

[Office 2003]

LangSecRef=3021

Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common

Default=True

FileKey1=%appdata%\Microsoft\Office\Recent|*.*

RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Recent Files

as the entry is there, and this version of winapp is dated 16 January 2008 (so it is not recent) I can only assume that it was always meant to be there as a wiping option.

The corresponding action to remove this wiping action via the CCleaner interface is probably to uncheck Office 2003 in Cleaner -> Applications -> Applications

I am assuming it is Office 2003 since Office 2007 Excel MRU lists are held in a different directory (Office\12.0 rather than Office\11.0).

I don't have Office so I can't check whether the above would work.

Untick the cleaning of Office in CCleaner and the issue will disappear altogether.

Thanks everybody for the quick help. Unchecking Office on the "pROGRAMS" tab seems to have cured the "bug"!

Kind regards,

Johannes