Special request for feature in CCleaner

I have noticed that there is something that really needs to be run now-a-days.

Something that is easy to clean, but causes a lot of problems.

Recently, encountered a friend who was hit by an auto-run script from a flash drive that caused drive C: to show a recycle bin error as the result of the infection.

Was able to remove it with Auto-Run eater... A free, simple program.

Any way to add a feature to CCleaner to show any auto-run .inf file from flash drives, harddisks, etc?

They should be very easy to delete & remove, but this is starting to pop up a lot on computers & it is very annoying to have to repair this when someone brings you a new pc because they didn't clean their flash drive, then you have to clean their flash drive as well.

Would be really nice to be able to show all .inf auto load from plugged in devices, so user can clean or delete them if they are causing problems!

Thank you!

• Moderators

Wouldn't it be too late? If CC or whatever can see if there's an autorun file wouldn't it already have autoran?

I understand that MS are issuing an update to disable autorun on USB drives. I don't know anything else about it.

Wouldn't it be too late? If CC or whatever can see if there's an autorun file wouldn't it already have autoran?

I understand that MS are issuing an update to disable autorun on USB drives. I don't know anything else about it.

No, it would not be too late. There is a program called AutoRun Eater that does it as soon as you insert a flash drive, it checks the autorun entry & flags it if it is malicious so you can remove it.

Many people do not know they have malicious autorun entries, & this program can clean what is on drive C: as well as any drives you connect, which prevents that you insert another uninfected flash drive & it gets infected as well.

It totally stops & kills the infection, which I believe would be very very nice if CCleaner could do.

• Moderators

Now I see what you mean. Autorun Eater is (probably) in the startup list and runs permanently in the background? CC is not going to do this. In any event it's more of an anti-virus thing, which isn't CC's bag. If you're happy with Autorun Eater, and it sounds as if you are, then stick with it. It sounds like a good idea if you have others poking usb drives in your pc.

• Moderators
CC is not going to do this.

Yeah it sounds highly unlikely.

If you want to find all autorun.inf files on the hard disk you can do that with a batch file:

attrib /s -r -h -s "c:\autorun.inf"dir /s "c:\autorun.inf"

To delete them all (you run the risk of possibly messing something up):

attrib /s -r -h -s "c:\autorun.inf"del /s "c:\autorun.inf"

I can only imagine this would slow CCleaner down to an absolute crawl searching a whole hard disk for autorun.inf files since CCleaner is typically told exactly where to look rather than chugging through a whole partition, this reminds me of the request to delete all thumbs.db awhile back. :rolleyes: For the sake of developers that use perfectly clean autorun.inf files such a feature would have to be turned off by default and located in Advanced.

The problem with this is it will mess with installed programs for instance HP Printer/Scanner software, and InstallShield (you definitely don't want to mess with InstallShield's files as fixing it can be a real pain):

47f1092dfa60.png

Yeah it sounds highly unlikely.

If you want to find all autorun.inf files on the hard disk you can do that with a batch file:

attrib /s -r -h -s "c:\autorun.inf"dir /s "c:\autorun.inf"

To delete them all (you run the risk of possibly messing something up):

attrib /s -r -h -s "c:\autorun.inf"del /s "c:\autorun.inf"

I can only imagine this would slow CCleaner down to an absolute crawl searching a whole hard disk for autorun.inf files since CCleaner is typically told exactly where to look rather than chugging through a whole partition, this reminds me of the request to delete all thumbs.db awhile back. :rolleyes: For the sake of developers that use perfectly clean autorun.inf files such a feature would have to be turned off by default and located in Advanced.

The problem with this is it will mess with installed programs for instance HP Printer/Scanner software, and InstallShield (you definitely don't want to mess with InstallShield's files as fixing it can be a real pain):

47f1092dfa60.png

Sure, it would take another click or two, but autorun.inf files that load installer files are only texts that refer to an executable on the plugged in device. I see what your saying, but removing an autoloader would not damage anything that I am aware of, just make it so that you would have to manually click the right exe, msi, or whatever to load it.

Thanks for your input.