Wiping

appzo

I'm running v1.26 of Recuva from USB on XP MCE SP3.

I perform a Deep Scan and it finds 213 files of various filetypes on an SD card.

I switch to Advanced Mode > Options and select the Secure Overwriting Gutman 35 passes and click OK.

The light on the SD card reader I want to wipe flashes for about 20 seconds and then goes off.

I then attempt a Recover and I'm able to copy all found files to my Hard Drive.

While most are unreadable, some of the 213 files, if txt, eml, jpg, rar or ico filetypes are still perfectly intact.

Obviously this is not what's wanted so how to I totally get rid of these files?

I've already reformatted the SD card in the Canon camera that it was originally supplied with (it is only 16MB and I have upgraded and use the SD card for data storage when providing photographs and documents to certain people).

Advice please. Should this sort of thing be reported as a bug to the developers? Do they read the forums?

Thanks.

Appzo

• Moderators

Ap, you seem to have missed step 2.5 in your list that says 'Then I clicked on the master check box and selected all entries found, I right clicked the mouse and pressed Secure Delete all checked.'

Did you do this?

I hope I'm in the right place - seems the discussion is close to what I want to know.

If I use the "wipe free space" feature, will that prevent me from doing a "restore' with XP if it wipes something it shouldn't? :unsure:

Thanks

• Moderators

No, wipe free space will not wipe, or overwrite, any live files. XP sys restore makes a backup of what it considers to be vital files and restores these on demand. It does not use deleted files, nor does any XP operation.

• 1 month later...
Welcome to the forums appzo! :)

Maybe try CCleaner another Piriform product then use the Wipe Free Space function it has.

Instructions on how to use Wipe Free Space are located at the bottom of the page here.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I do use CCleaner, but didn't know about the Settings > Otions > set Drive to wipe.

Not tried to wipe the SD card again though as it isn use.

Cheers.