How to properly create file types?

OuT

Hi,

First of all, nice to be in this forum :D

CCleaner is my only cleaning tool, and Defraggler my only defrag tool except for stuff like offline defrag

I'm here because I'm trying to create custom file types, using only command line, no Explorer GUI

So far they are perfectly working, the only problem is CCleaner wants to delete them...

to provide you a quick example, I currently add something like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.vob]@="DVD-Video.VOB"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\DVD-Video.VOB]@="DVD-Video (VOB file)"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\DVD-Video.VOB\DefaultIcon]@="C:\\Program Files\\MPC\\mplayerc.exe,3"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\DVD-Video.VOB\shell]@="Play_DVD"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\DVD-Video.VOB\shell\Play_DVD]@="Play DVD"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\DVD-Video.VOB\shell\Play_DVD\command]@="\"C:\\Program Files\\MPC\\mplayerc.exe\" \"%1\" /dvd"

and so CCleaner wants to delete HKR\.vob, it notifies me:

Unused File Extension

"The file extension .bup references an invalid program identifier. These are often left behind after uninstalling software.

Solution: Delete the registry value.

I'm quite sure an entry is missing in the Registry to make CCleaner validates the extensions but I can't figure out what...

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

• Moderators

Hi OuT, and welcome to Piriform, nice to have you here.

I've no idea how to do what you need, or even if it's possible, but you could use the workaround of adding those entries to CCleaners "Exclude Registry" feature.

Go to "CCleaner\Options\Exclude\Add Registry", and copy and paste those entries into the dialogue box.

You'll have to set the Hive Address in the first small window, and then remove that Hive Address from the start of the pasted address in the second window.

When done correctly, the OK button becomes active.

I'm not sure if it will work, but I don't see why not. Maybe a registry wizzard will happen along in the meantime, and give you an easier fix.

• Moderators

Windows may very well be influencing your file types not working. Generally right clicking a file type and selecting 'Open With' will put things into proper order, you just need to tell it to 'always use this program.' That's what I did with MPlayer to manually register file types in it.

Then there's also NirSoft FileTypesMan.

Not sure how exactly CCleaner determines whether an extension is 'unused', but you could experiment with also registering your new extension under:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

Unlike on Win 9x, in XP and Vista this is the principal key that determines the current program in use for the filetype.

Come to think of it, it's prolly a good idea to make sure that your application is registered under HKCR\Applications with its shell\open\command subkey's Default value set to the path name of the application's executable

thank you for your replies

DennisD : sure it would work, however I would like to not use workarounds :rolleyes:

Andavari : this method should work but has many disadvantages for me... it is done through the GUI, it is not a "true" file type, also notice I use a switch in the command

TonyKlein : ...\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts done, does not fix... and app was already registered in HKCR\Applications

I will try with FileTypesMan as suggested by Andavari, I quickly looked at it and I'm quite sure this utility will let me find the answer

• Moderators
I will try with FileTypesMan as suggested by Andavari, I quickly looked at it and I'm quite sure this utility will let me find the answer

Remember to right click in it for useful features!

It's the program I used to get some file types to open in the programs I wanted them to open in since Windows XP locked me out of making the changes, even with an already made .REG file I had so painstakingly made from scratch - stupid Windows. :lol:

so, I now use a new, simpler technique :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.vob]@="DVD-Video (VOB file)"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.vob\DefaultIcon]@="C:\\Program Files\\MPC\\mplayerc.exe,3"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.vob\shell\Play_DVD]@="Play DVD"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.vob\shell\Play_DVD\command]@="\"C:\\Program Files\\MPC\\mplayerc.exe\" \"%1\" /dvd"

Explorer's "folder options > file types" and FileTypesMan don't seem very happy with it

but the file extensions are still working the way I want and CCleaner doesn't want to delete it, so it okay for me :lol: