SD Photo Recovery

DDan

I cut and pasted 147 jpg files from my SD CARD (through the camera) to my PC. Moments later after installing a driver, my PC refuses to boot (whether in Safe or any other mode) due to a STOP: error. I am trying to get MSoft to tell me how to get out of that.

If I have to do a re-install I do not want to lose the photos. I thought that I should be able to 'Recuva' them from the SD card, but although all 147 files are marked as "State: Excellent" when I try to recover the files I get the message - "The volume for a file has been externally altered so tha th opened file is no longer valid"

Any ideas?

Are you able to boot with a live cd?

On the hardware side, Dell diagnostics has shown that everything is working.

I can boot up the recovery console on the MSoft CD, but as I do not know what has caused the STOP error, it does not really take me any further.

Unfortunately I do not have an XP boot disc

Regards

• Moderators

I was meaning a linux livecd. If you had a friend who could download one for you such as ubuntu or puppy, you could use it to boot your pc with but as it's an iso file it runs in memory and does not install.

Then you could either use it to find your real hard drive and pictures and put in a usb stick and copy them onto that. May even be possible to uninstall that driver. Then take out the live cd disc .

See your pm's

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

This doesn't help your situation Dan, so I hope you'll forgive me using it to mention something I only just pointed out to my daughter recently.

When taking important personal data such as photographs, from a camera card or USB drive, or any external source, please please, copy them over.

Don't "cut and paste", don't "move" them. You need to keep the originals intact until you've not only copied them over and checked them, but keep them until you also have them backed up to a second secure location before clearing them off your card/USB stick.

A lot of personal stuff is lost this way, as it's easy to assume the cut or move process is OK because it's been OK lots of times previously. Don't take the chance.

This doesn't help your situation Dan, so I hope you'll forgive me using it to mention something I only just pointed out to my daughter recently.

When taking important personal data such as photographs, from a camera card or USB drive, or any external source, please please, copy them over.

Don't "cut and paste", don't "move" them. You need to keep the originals intact until you've not only copied them over and checked them, but keep them until you also have them backed up to a second secure location before clearing them off your card/USB stick.

A lot of personal stuff is lost this way, as it's easy to assume the cut or move process is OK because it's been OK lots of times previously. Don't take the chance.

Good advice! Just shows how a moments lapse......