Windows Live Messenger update

edallen

Hello. Is anyone else having trouble installing this? I get it 89% installed and then it starts 'rolling back'; after it is all rolled back I get a note that the installation was aborted error code 0x80004004. Goggling this I get a notice that the Registry may be out of whack. Ran CCleaner, Malwarebytes, Windows Defender, Avast - no change. There is one site that says I should download Regcure, but I cannot see that it will do any more than CCleaner does and I am reluctant to download it. Any ideas? Thanks a lot. (I do not necessarily need this, but the notice pops up everytime I open up the computer and it gets annoying, so I thought I would shut up the notice by installing it... LOL) :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem installing Windows Live Messenger update but to not get Regcure from ParetoLogic as it has been known to produce False positives and will only remove them after purchase of their application.

See negative comments:

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/regcure.com

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Thank you very much. I was suspicious of this software, especially because it is not talked about on neither this forum, PC World or Kim Kamando. I will steer clear of it.

• Moderators

Try making a new User Profile for you computer to see if it removes the errors. If the new profile works and solves any other problem(s) you can then copy all important files from the other profile to the new profile.

Often registry related issues can reside in HKEY_CURRENT_USER ("HKCU") which does not require a format and reinstall of everything. Just creating a new profile will often suffice in fixing some nagging issues, and only takes a few to several minutes to copy over all important files.

Try making a new User Profile for you computer to see if it removes the errors. If the new profile works and solves any other problem(s) you can then copy all important files from the other profile to the new profile.

Often registry related issues can reside in HKEY_CURRENT_USER ("HKCU") which does not require a format and reinstall of everything. Just creating a new profile will often suffice in fixing some nagging issues, and only takes a few to several minutes to copy over all important files.

Thank you; I will give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed Live messenger and there was no problem with it. I think the problem you have can be solved by re installing windows Live messenger. It is one of the must these days. Lates stats show more and more people using it.

Thank you. I had wondered about doing that. So far I have just ignored the update message. LOL Is it really that simple? Just uninstall the present Windows Messenger and then install the new one? I get a little nervous around computers, so.... If it is as simple as that, though, I think I can do it. :lol: