Can't Find File

uffbros

I just installed the latest version of Recuva on My Vista Based computer. I was just doing an experiment so I deleted 2 pps files and then immediately loaded Recuva and ran it in regular and advanced modes and the 2 files do not show up? Why would this be? How could this be? What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

• Moderators

How did you delete the files, to the recycler and then delete them, or simple shift/del? Files deleted via the recycler will be renamed by Vista.

It's known that files newly created and then deleted are likely to be 'lost' immediately. Newly created filenames will fit into the first available slots in the MFT. When they are deleted these slots become available for reuse and are quickly overwritten (by Windows logs, recovery, shadow files, etc), making them undetectable by Recuva (or any other recovery program).

9 hours since deletion and neither file shows up in the thorough mode. I deleted the 2 .pps files by right clicking on them and selecting delete. I bypass the recycle bin on all my deletions, meaning I go into the recycle bin properties and tell it to not go to there. The files in question weren't newly created but 2 files I no longer wanted so I used them for my experiment.

• Moderators

Couldn't really say, then. In the original post you say that you deleted the files then 'Immediately loaded Recuva.' Does that mean installed and ran, or just ran? Installed would of course create many new files: whether running creates any temporary files I don't know.

How did you look for your deleted files? Did you sort the list by filename, or filter the list?

• Moderators

Well, these things happen. Windows does all sort of stuff in the background to amuse itself. It would probably take an exact spec of your pc, what was running on it, what you did exactly, and an intimate knowledge of Vista to find out what happened. I wouldn't worry about it really.