A very simple...Thank You

kslice

I wasn't sure who to send this to in e-mail form, so I decided I would post it on this forum. I certainly hope none of the moderators mind this being here...

I would just like to say 'Thank You' to the entire Piriform team for their hard work and dedication. They have made some of the best programs I have ever seen and distribute them freely. All they ask for in return is a little donation if you can. Along with this thanks comes a story or 'Testimonial' if you will:

So, my brother just got me a nice external hard drive for Christmas. I decided I would use it to save my files to so I could later put them back on my original hard drive after I reformatted it. So, I reformatted my normal hard drive, and decided to install Vista on a trial basis just to see how it worked. I installed it, then placed all of my original files back on. Well, after about a week or two..I decided I really just didn't like the performance of Windows Vista and decided I would reformat again to install XP instead. I went and re-saved all of my files to my external hard drive again, and started the formatting process. Well, this time I forgot to unplug my external hard drive before formatting. I got the partition screen and saw about 10 different disk options. I figured, "Hey, it must just be some stupid Vista thing." and I deleted all of the partitions. As soon as I had done that, I stopped for just a second and looked down at my computer and realized the horror of what I have done! I saw that my external hard drive was still plugged in and at that very instant, felt very ill to my stomach. Hoping that perhaps since I hadn't installed XP to the external, I would be able to still get my files...I proceeded to install XP to my computer's hard drive. I booted it up, and tried to open my external hard drive. To my horror, I realized that everything was gone, it had been erased. I quickly started searching the internet for recovery solutions. I installed maybe hundreds of file recovery programs. Only 1 program was able to even see the files, but it couldn't read the folders or file names. Therefor, the files were pretty useless to me. I continued to search until I ran across a file recovery program made by Piriform. Now, I've used Piriform's CCleaner in the past and it was the program of its kind, so I figured I would give this program of theirs called "Recuva" a try. To my utter amazement, it found ALL of my files and recovered them all in one night! That's 77,665 Files, 5,960 Folders, 43.4 GB!

You see, I'm actually a VB (Visual Basic) programmer myself. I had had a TON of huge VB projects I was working on that had taken me several hours to get to where they were. In just ONE second (and the press of ONE button), it was all deleted. However, just as easily as it was deleted, Recuva was able to get it back for me! I cannot express how much of a life-saver this program really has become.

So without further ado, I hope I have not bored too many of you with my long story. I am here very simply to say:

"Thank You Piriform team! You have saved me countless hours of hard work and you've provided me with some of the BEST, FREE programs I have ever seen! Keep up the amazing work, and I hope to see many things from you in the future."

• Moderators

Hi Kslice.

It's very good of you to take the time to write such a glowing report about Recuva. That could have been one daddy of a horror story, and I can only imagine how you must have felt after discovering your error.

Your comments are appreciated, and I'm real glad this story had a happy ending.

Piriform also make a fine defragging application, also free, called Defraggler.

A link to the guides of all Piriform software is in my signature.

when i used recuva for first time, it found all 185.000 files. thats one cool report you made. thx.

80999699qp6.jpg
From my prespective, winvista club is a very good forum for all things windows related.
They have helped me and many others in the past. Excellent hints and advice!

BigSmile.png

• Moderators

A very good report with very good results. It's still a good idea to regularly backup your stuff to other reliable media formats too such as data DVDs even on a version or month basis, just in case it's needed one day.

off topic here but, i learned lesson of not backing up on disk D..lost valuable space.

80999699qp6.jpg
From my prespective, winvista club is a very good forum for all things windows related.
They have helped me and many others in the past. Excellent hints and advice!

BigSmile.png