Deleting recovered files

Sillyme

<_< Hello, I am new to this forum. I have just recently started using Recuva. It appears to default to deleting all files it recovers from a hard drive. I am trying to recover undeleted files from a Maxtor USB Hard Drive. I used Recuva to recover these undeleted files from one Maxtor USB hard drive to another. The files disappeared from a sub directory after coping them from one XP to be used on another. Recuva naturally found the files and was apparently able to recover most of them. So I retired to recovered the files to a 2nd directory. It said it was not able to recover the files it had recovered previously. It was then that I discovered that Recuva automatically deletes the files it recovers. I am recovering these files to another hard drive. Is there any way to prevent Recuva from deleting the files it recovers?

<_< Hello, I am new to this forum. I have just recently started using Recuva. It appears to default to deleting all files it recovers from a hard drive. I am trying to recover undeleted files from a Maxtor USB Hard Drive. I used Recuva to recover these undeleted files from one Maxtor USB hard drive to another. The files disappeared from a sub directory after coping them from one XP to be used on another. Recuva naturally found the files and was apparently able to recover most of them. So I retired to recovered the files to a 2nd directory. It said it was not able to recover the files it had recovered previously. It was then that I discovered that Recuva automatically deletes the files it recovers. I am recovering these files to another hard drive. Is there any way to prevent Recuva from deleting the files it recovers?

Maybe I do not completely understand you, so first let me ask:

When you recovered the files onto the second hard drive, are those files being deleted by Recuva? The newly recovered files on the 2nd drive? Or are you talking about the "deleted" files on the first drive? If the recovered files on the 2nd drive are OK but the originally deleted files on the first drive are gone after recovery, can you just copy the recovered files back onto the first drive?

It was then that I discovered that Recuva automatically deletes the files it recovers. I am recovering these files to another hard drive. Is there any way to prevent Recuva from deleting the files it recovers?

Hello Sillyme,

Welcome to the forums !!!

I am not aware that Recuva "automatically" deletes any files that it recovers.

When using Recuva it is very important to double check all your settings.

:) davey

Maybe I do not completely understand you, so first let me ask:

When you recovered the files onto the second hard drive, are those files being deleted by Recuva? The newly recovered files on the 2nd drive? Or are you talking about the "deleted" files on the first drive? If the recovered files on the 2nd drive are OK but the originally deleted files on the first drive are gone after recovery, can you just copy the recovered files back onto the first drive?

Sorry I did not make it clear. The missing files on the original drive have been overwritten (deleted) by Recuva. One of the settings in Recuva asks you to select which method you wish to use to overwrite (delete) the original files on the original drive. It doesn?t appear to give you an option not to overwrite (delete). I guess I just skipped past this setting as I thought I understood that Recuva was a non destructive means of recovering damaged or deleted files.

I guess the files I was trying to recover from the original drive were damaged as I had not deleted them. They had simply disappeared from the sub directory they were in.

I was copying a bunch of large MPG?s from one computer to be used with another. I copied these into this sub directory which also had other sub directories within it. All the files which I had copied into this sub directory along with the other sub directories had just disappeared. Before I disconnected the USB dive from the original XP, I verified all the files and sub directories were in tack. I then shut down the computer and disconnected the drive. When I plugged the drive into the other computer, all the files within the subdirectory were missing. So I ran Recuva and it found the missing files and indicated that they had not be deleted or overwritten. After Recuva recovered whatever files it would, I tried getting it to recover all the same files again to another USB drive. It was then that I discovered that one of the features of Recuva was that it overwrites (deletes) the recovered files from the original drive. Is there any way to avoid this overwriting (deleting) from happening?

I don?t know for certain - maybe someone with a better understanding of Recuva can help.

Though I still don?t understand why you can't use the recovered files that you put onto the first flash drive and just copy them wherever you want them.

Is there a problem doing this that I am not seeing?

Jim

• Moderators
One of the settings in Recuva asks you to select which method you wish to use to overwrite (delete) the original files on the original drive. It doesn?t appear to give you an option not to overwrite (delete).

I don't wish to be rude at all, but just don't use this option. I'm puzzled why you should click on Secure Delete when you're trying to recover files. Secure Delete will securely delete files. Recover File is the option to recover files. There is no automatic deletion in Recuva.

I guess the files I was trying to recover from the original drive were damaged as I had not deleted them. They had simply disappeared from the sub directory they were in.

In your original post you said you were trying to recover undeleted files. Were you, or were you trying to recover files that had been inadvertently deleted?

I was copying a bunch of large MPG?s from one computer to be used with another. I copied these into this sub directory which also had other sub directories within it. All the files which I had copied into this sub directory along with the other sub directories had just disappeared. Before I disconnected the USB dive from the original XP, I verified all the files and sub directories were in tack. I then shut down the computer and disconnected the drive. When I plugged the drive into the other computer, all the files within the subdirectory were missing.

Were you copying files to a flash drive? Were you copying files or using Recuva to recover deleted files? Did you disconnect the flsh drive properly before closing down your pc? What's the capacity of your flash drive?

So I ran Recuva and it found the missing files and indicated that they had not be deleted or overwritten. After Recuva recovered whatever files it would, I tried getting it to recover all the same files again to another USB drive.

Did you run recuva on the flash drive or the hard drive? I'm getting an attack of drive confusion now.

It was then that I discovered that one of the features of Recuva was that it overwrites (deletes) the recovered files from the original drive.

It isn't, honestly.

Nice post, Augeas.

I was trying to help out, just a little though. I started here with Recuva back at its initial release. Fortunately I have not needed to actually use it ever since then! Though I do keep it ready on my PC. (A seriously paranoid backup strategy usually saves me from equipment failure - or plain stupidity!).

I do stop in to the CCleaner forum fairly regularly and for some reason sauntered on over to this forum.

Thanks again for a post that cleared a few things up for me.

Jim