Opera 10 alpha claims Acid3 perfection

Humpty

May give this alpha a whirl a bit later.

Thirteen-year-old Opera has been the perennial underdog in the browser wars, but Opera 10 alpha brings some unexpected firepower to the field. Unlike Google Chrome, Firefox 3, or any other browser on the market except for Safari 4 Developer Preview, Opera 10 will comply fully with the Acid3 test, according to the Norwegian publisher

Expected to be available now for public testing, Opera 10 is powered by an update to its proprietary rendering engine. Presto 2.2 is supposed to be 30 percent faster than Presto 2.1, the engine driving Opera 9.5. Presto 2.2, says the company, will be the basis for future versions of its mobile browsers as well as the desktop editions.

Cnet Article

A decent spell checker, and maybe some day soon an Opera version of McAfee Site Advisor, would be great additions to an already great browser.

That would convice me to install Opera on this here old PIII as my spellun sum tymz iz 'orribull :lol:

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

A decent spell checker, and maybe some day soon an Opera version of McAfee Site Advisor, would be great additions to an already great browser.

The inline spell checker will be nice but the O Spell User Java Script spell checker I use now is the best spell checker I have used and I have a lot of them. The inline spell checker built into Firefox is disgusting. So off on it's suggestions it's laughable. Hopefully Opera does a better job with it.

The Firefox spell checker is so bad I have started using the Jarte word processor's new spell check feature that lets you check spelling in any application you are using. Works well. It's a new feature in the latest update to Jarte.

The inline spell checker will be nice but the O Spell User Java Script spell checker I use now is the best spell checker I have used and I have a lot of them. The inline spell checker built into Firefox is disgusting. So off on it's suggestions it's laughable. Hopefully Opera does a better job with it.

The Firefox spell checker is so bad I have started using the Jarte word processor's new spell check feature that lets you check spelling in any application you are using. Works well. It's a new feature in the latest update to Jarte.

The O Spell User Java Script spell checker is Shareware costing $99.00US.

IE7Pro spell checker costs $0.00

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Thirteen-year-old Opera has been the perennial underdog in the browser wars, but Opera 10 alpha brings some unexpected firepower to the field. Unlike Google Chrome, Firefox 3, or any other browser on the market except for Safari 4 Developer Preview, Opera 10 will comply fully with the Acid3 test, according to the Norwegian publisher

Underdog? Unexpected firepower? Do I sense some anti-Opera sentiment from CNET? Obviously...

The only thing that could possibly make Opera an underdog is popularity.

In my own Acid3 tests using Opera 9.62, I get 85/100, so if version 10 gets a perfect 100/100 that will be cool. It's also cool to hear that in-line spell checking will be included. I've been using Aspell which works great, but in-line will be better.

Unfortunately that may not happen. Opera's Widget engine is not able to interface with the browser in the same way that Firefox's extensions are. Opera Widgets are essentially separate apps that perform a function irrelevant to the web page you're currently visiting (unlike Firefox with NoScript, SiteAdvisor, etc).

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

You're both right guys, you're just talking about different things.

I googled "O Spell User Java Script spell checker", and came up with the $99 version, which is for web sites.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&...-8&oe=utf-8

:)

I don't see it being called O Spell. It's called Java Script Spell Checker from what I seen.

Doesn't matter. The one I linked is free and works amazing in Opera. Looks like it will soon be obsolete though. The developer of O Spell posted in the official O Spell thread on the Opera forum saying as much

I'm posting this on Opera 10, and it is FAST. If anyone wants a blazingly fast browser, one even faster than Google Chrome, give version 10 a try. Even all you Firefox fanboys should think about it.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Checking out the speel chukeer :)

spell checker OK

It works great on my real old PIII system.

It is a beautiful sunny morning here after about 2 weeks of continuous clouds, rain and snow flurries.

Maybe I might be able to see Jupiter and the other two stars this evening.

IE7Pro user

I wish Opera 10 to have a built-in manager that manages javascript, java, flash, and other plugins just like the Noscript for Mozilla based browsers. If Opera has those features...i won't ever touch other browsers. Btw, one thing really bothers me is that widgets, bookmarklets, the user javascript feature, and some buttons required Javascript to run. Imagine if there's risk of getting a javascript trojan(or something like that) somewhere on the website (or advertisment) you're on and you're a person who always turn off javascript but you want to use one of the features that required javascript to run. What would you do...would you take the risk of exposing yourself to unknown danger just to use those features? (there's no guarantee the website you went to are completely safe, 89% of the consumer are infected with malware through the internet)

I wish Opera 10 to have a built-in manager that manages javascript, java, flash, and other plugins just like the Noscript for Mozilla based browsers. If Opera has those features...i won't ever touch other browsers. Btw, one thing really bothers me is that widgets, bookmarklets, the user javascript feature, and some buttons required Javascript to run. Imagine if there's risk of getting a javascript trojan(or something like that) somewhere on the website (or advertisment) you're on and you're a person who always turn off javascript but you want to use one of the features that required javascript to run. What would you do...would you take the risk of exposing yourself to unknown danger just to use those features? (there's no guarantee the website you went to are completely safe, 89% of the consumer are infected with malware through the internet)

Are you familiar with Opera's site preferences feature. You can control most of the things you mentioned on a per site basis. For example disable user java script globally and have it run only on sites you want by activating it in site preferences.

Run any browser sand boxed if you are that worried. Or be like YoKenney and run the safest browser known to man IE :lol: