Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 11

YoKenny

No Release Notes yet.

Java SE Downloads:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Good news. It removed the old version automatically.

Note: Make sure that you un-check the OpenOffice download if you do not want it.

Edited by YoKenny

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Is this a manual update or will Java automatically update in the near future? I just requested Java to update now and it said I have the latest version despite being on Update 10. :P

Also, after checking that page you link to: there's no Update 11.

Yorkshireman

- [My Twitter Profile: Clicky]

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.

Albert Einstein

Is this a manual update or will Java automatically update in the near future? I just requested Java to update now and it said I have the latest version despite being on Update 10. :P

Also, after checking that page you link to: there's no Update 11.

New versions of Java are always released on the Sun site a couple of weeks before it's sent out via Java update.

As for update 11 not being on that link - it was there last night, seems to have disappeared :huh:

Thanks Kenny,

I used your link this morning when you first Posted it.

I downloaded the Offline install and it worked fine for me. I use WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit.

It also removed the prior version and files like you said. I haven't had the time to check out all areas yet.

I guess because of my "PC Fairy", I was shown the Open Office screen but I was not offered an option to opt-in or opt-out and no Open Office software was installed .

I did disable the Java Quick Starter in Services. I did this because I only have 256 MB RAM. Others may not want to do this. I have no idea how often Java is used on my PC. The same goes for MS Silverlight. I have both installed but no idea how often they are used.

:) davey

Edited by davey

Installed and working fine here. I still manually uninstalled the old version due to the change in the way this version now updates. Looking through the Java site it seems to use a slightly different install directory so didn't fancy trusting it to remove all the leftovers from the previous version.

I did disable the Java Quick Starter in Services.

You're probably better turning off the quickstarter in the Java options, that should completely remove the quickstarter service (don't forget to turn off the automatic updater and remove the startup entry for the updater too ;) ).