Hidden Folder

sweetie70

I have reason to believe that CCleaner removed a hidden folder: $Ntuninstallwmp11$. I am having sound problems in Windows Media Player 11. I can barely hear the sound when an email with "wmv" opens in WM Player. I am unable to turn the sound up. Can you help me restore that hidden file???? Please! I am a novice and should never have used CCleaner. I have been trying to "restore" my laptop to an earlier date (several of them) prior to CCleaner and it says I can not restore. Thank you, Pat :(

P.S. Am using Windows XP with Service Pack 3

I have reason to believe that CCleaner removed a hidden folder: $Ntuninstallwmp11$.

Thank you, Pat :(

P.S. Am using Windows XP with Service Pack 3

Hello sweetie70,

Welcome to the forums.

$Ntuninstallwmp11$ is the name of an MS uninstall program for Windows Media Player11.

I use WinXP Pro SP3 also. I did experience a problem with WMP11 after the MS updates on November 11,2008.

There were 3 updates for WMP11 on that date.

My PC would not pick-up the presence of my DVD/CD drives.

I used the Set Program Access and Defaults to remove access to Windows Media Player and then I reset the check mark to allow access and Windows Media Player was reset and my PC then again recognized the presence of my DVD/CD drives. I did not notice if I had sound problems also at the time.

Maybe this will work for you also.

Good luck,

:) davey

Hello sweetie70,

Welcome to the forums.

$Ntuninstallwmp11$ is the name of an MS uninstall program for Windows Media Player11.

I use WinXP Pro SP3 also. I did experience a problem with WMP11 after the MS updates on November 11,2008.

There were 3 updates for WMP11 on that date.

My PC would not pick-up the presence of my DVD/CD drives.

I used the Set Program Access and Defaults to remove access to Windows Media Player and then I reset the check mark to allow access and Windows Media Player was reset and my PC then again recognized the presence of my DVD/CD drives. I did not notice if I had sound problems also at the time.

Maybe this will work for you also.

Good luck,

:) davey

THANK YOU DAVEY FOR YOUR REPLY. I CAN TRY YOUR SUGGESTION, HOWEVER WHERE DO I FIND "SET PROGRAM ACCESS AND DEFAULTS"?

Pat

Welcome Pat.

Please check your CapsLock key as you are typing in ALL CAPITALS which is considered SHOUTING.

You can access Set Program Access and Defaults through Add or Remove Programs or start All Programs top left

t2315_access.png

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Welcome Pat.

Please check your CapsLock key as you are typing in ALL CAPITALS which is considered SHOUTING.

You can access Set Program Access and Defaults through Add or Remove Programs or start All Programs top left

t2315_access.png

Sorry, I was not shouting.

I found the Set Program Access and Defaults. I went to Microsoft Windows and scrolled down to Choose a default media player: There was a check next to Use my current media player. A few lines down I found Windows Media Player with no check, but to the right of it was checked Enable access to this program. I monkeyed around with the check marks, but it did not increase the Windows Media Player sound. I also wonder if I can go back to SP2. This may have happened in WMP when I went to SP3???

Pat

I am listening to The Who's Magic Bus right now in Windows Media Player Version 11.0.5721.5230 on XP Pro SP3 and I know the same song works on my XP Home SP3 system

My Altec Lansing VS2221 speakers are nice but I have to be careful as the Sub Woofer can vibrate these walls in my apartment quite easily.

My audio is the built in SoundMAX on my IBM ThinkCentre ( Canadian ) system.

I am going to listen to some Bruce Springsteen now.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I am listening to The Who's Magic Bus right now in Windows Media Player Version 11.0.5721.5230 on XP Pro SP3 and I know the same song works on my XP Home SP3 system

My Altec Lansing VS2221 speakers are nice but I have to be careful as the Sub Woofer can vibrate these walls in my apartment quite easily.

My audio is the built in SoundMAX on my IBM ThinkCentre ( Canadian ) system.

I am going to listen to some Bruce Springsteen now.

YoKenny:

Well, I just have a Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop and use the speakers built into the unit. I am using the same WMP Version as you are in XP Home SP3 system.

Something else must be wrong as I can just b a r e l y hear the sound???????????? Any ideas?

YoKenny:

Well, I just have a Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop and use the speakers built into the unit. I am using the same WMP Version as you are in XP Home SP3 system.

Something else must be wrong as I can just b a r e l y hear the sound???????????? Any ideas?

When I had an IBM ThinkPad laptop it had a small volume control on the side that could take the sound from inaudible to audible in quiet surroundings so I used external powered speakers or headphones if I wanted to listen to music.

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

Have you tried doing a cold boot which is:

1. Turn off your computer, for about 60 seconds.

2. Start your computer.

Other than that you may need to go into the Play Control settings as something could be muted or has the volume turned way down.

To get into Play Control:

1. Click Start, Run, type in: sndvol32

2. Click OK to open Play Control.

3. Make sure the volume levels are turned up enough. Typically the Wave/MP3 setting can be the culprit.

Have you tried doing a cold boot which is:

1. Turn off your computer, for about 60 seconds.

2. Start your computer.

Other than that you may need to go into the Play Control settings as something could be muted or has the volume turned way down.

To get into Play Control:

1. Click Start, Run, type in: sndvol32

2. Click OK to open Play Control.

3. Make sure the volume levels are turned up enough. Typically the Wave/MP3 setting can be the culprit.

Yes, I have done both. The cold boot and all the volumes are a high as they can be and all balanced. I wonder if it could be the RegCure that I bought on line and used? Being a novice I should not do those things. I should leave to the professionals. Any more ideas?

Thanks for your replys.

Dell tech support pages, or help from them via the phone would be my next thought. It could be something really simple, then again it may not be such a simple fix.

Using aggressive registry cleaners can create more problems than they attempt to "fix."

Being a novice I am not so sure I will be able to figure out my problem.

I will read up on your suggestions, however. Thank you.