40% after 20+ hours

Ozzieorl

Hi, I downloaded Defraggler yesterday (Monday 27th), at approx 13.15. I installed it, and as it was the first time decided to defrag my 'C' drive.

Total drive capacity - 465.8 GB. Total Used Space - 124.1 GB. Free Space 341.7 GB.

98 fragmented files (69.5 GB) - 830 total fragments.

The defrag started at appox 18.00 hours on Monday 27th, and right now (14.01 28th Oct) 40% only completed.

I'm running Vista Home Premium SP1. Intel Core Duo E6550 @ 2.33 ghz. 2 GB RAM.

I guess it's not supposed to take this long :rolleyes:

And I also guess its an operator problem, it usually is, :( , so what have I done/am doing wrong.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks - Ozzie

Hi, I downloaded Defraggler yesterday (Monday 27th), at approx 13.15. I installed it, and as it was the first time decided to defrag my 'C' drive.

Total drive capacity - 465.8 GB. Total Used Space - 124.1 GB. Free Space 341.7 GB.

98 fragmented files (69.5 GB) - 830 total fragments.

The defrag started at appox 18.00 hours on Monday 27th, and right now (14.01 28th Oct) 40% only completed.

I'm running Vista Home Premium SP1. Intel Core Duo E6550 @ 2.33 ghz. 2 GB RAM.

I guess it's not supposed to take this long :rolleyes:

And I also guess its an operator problem, it usually is, :( , so what have I done/am doing wrong.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks - Ozzie

Hi Ozzie -

A lot of folks have had the same problem with this version.

The fine people at Piriform are aware of the problem and will be

releasing a new version any day now.

Many users (Including me) have gone back to Defraggler 1.02.085.

You can download it at the following link

http://www.filehippo.com/download_defraggler/4537/

Good luck and please let us know how this works for you.

John

Dear Ozzieorl,

Could you let us know if you are still having isseues with this issue?

Cincerely,

Linux Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex

I hate Windows.

Listing here what there is bad in it would take the whole space.

Current OS: Linux Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10) i686

and

Windows Vista/Longhorn (6001.18063.080425-1930) i586

"Open source is the only right way to do software" -Linus Torvalds

Dear Ozzieorl,

Could you let us know if you are still having isseues with this issue?

Cincerely,

Linux Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex

Hi, I'm afraid to say that 'YES' the problem is still on going. I am going to download the older version as recommended in an earlier post and will report back.

Best wishes - Ozzie

Hi Ozzie -

A lot of folks have had the same problem with this version.

The fine people at Piriform are aware of the problem and will be

releasing a new version any day now.

Many users (Including me) have gone back to Defraggler 1.02.085.

You can download it at the following link

http://www.filehippo.com/download_defraggler/4537/

Good luck and please let us know how this works for you.

John

Hi John, I downloaded the older version as suggested. Unfortunately the problem is still the same :( It seems to hang at the 40% point. It shot through to 32% then slowed and now has been at 40% for a number of hours. I did check I was running the 1.02.085 version and not the latest by mistake.

Best wishes - Ozzie

Hi John, I downloaded the older version as suggested. Unfortunately the problem is still the same :( It seems to hang at the 40% point. It shot through to 32% then slowed and now has been at 40% for a number of hours. I did check I was running the 1.02.085 version and not the latest by mistake.

Best wishes - Ozzie

Hi Ozzie,

You are really trying to defrag very large files that are only 10 fragments a piece ?

For files that large you are asking a lot of work to be done for no benefit but if you insist then you should run the regular Vista Defragmenter first. You are possibly having some conflict with Vista System Restore programs and mirror files etc.

Try the latest version Defraggler v1.04 . It has many fixes made to it since v 1.03 .

Defraggler is still only being fully developed and problems will arise especially with Vista.

You might also just try doing a few files at a time. I would try the smaller files first.

When you give us an update, please give us some idea about these files and also some snapshots .

Good luck,

:) davey

Hi Ozzie,

You are really trying to defrag very large files that are only 10 fragments a piece ?

For files that large you are asking a lot of work to be done for no benefit but if you insist then you should run the regular Vista Defragmenter first. You are possibly having some conflict with Vista System Restore programs and mirror files etc.

Try the latest version Defraggler v1.04 . It has many fixes made to it since v 1.03 .

Defraggler is still only being fully developed and problems will arise especially with Vista.

You might also just try doing a few files at a time. I would try the smaller files first.

When you give us an update, please give us some idea about these files and also some snapshots .

Good luck,

:) davey

Hi again, I deleted the older version of defraggler, and downloaded the latest version. Ran analyzer, and it showed a total of 91 defragmented files - not many, so I started to defrag each file individually to see if i could find the problem file/s. It became apparent very quickly that the problem files where C:\System Volume Information There were a toal of 5 of these files.

File one - 16 fragments - 15,743,344kb. File two - 16 fragments - 16,134,120kb. File 3 - 10 fragments -14,018,544kb. File 4 - 3 fragments - 2,873,336kb. File 5 - 2 fragments - 4,096,000kb.

When I checked the box to defrag the file I got the message Defrag complete. No files were defragmented.

I hope this helps :rolleyes:

Best wishes - Ozzie