Line-in play thru freeware required

tomcatonnet99

• Moderators

Forgive me here tom, but I'm not sure I'm understanding why you're needing to do this.

I'm assuming you already have a bluetooth dongle to get the music from your PC to your bluetooth headset? And are you connecting your MP3 player to the PC with something like a 3.5mm jack to RCA Phono X 2 (male)?

What I'm thinking is it seems a lot of trouble to go to in order to play the radio from your MP3 player through to your headset.

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but why not use a first rate streaming radio player like WinAmp. As long as it gets the radio station/s you want, it's IMHO one of the most stable (signal wise) web radios available with really good quality sound.

There's also Screamer radio player, but in my own experience, it balks on a lot of radio stations WinAmp plays effortlessly.

Anyways, if I'm off the mark with what you're after tom, give it to me with both barrels, and I'll come up with something better. :)

I play my full size MiniDisk player through my PC to copy off some tracks I only have on MiniDisk, and I use the Jack-RCA connecter mentioned above for this and the music comes straight through to my headphones without any need for any extra software. I also have XP Home.

I've just had a thought that it might be a slow internet connection pushing you into the MP3 player solution.

Hi Dennis,

As usual, you have given it a thought :) thats brilliant - you love the idea of finding new ways to achieve something and I suppose just like myself .... you would want to try new things out, just because you can! :)

Yep! got an MP3 player with FM function to it which I could always directly connect using a single(x2 male) 3.5mm pin to either TV/tuner in or line-in and ofcourse I receive it straight thru to my pc speakers or external speakers/ headphones but at times I'm mobile about the house and work ( home office situation) and since I use a bluetooth headset for my phone I intend to utilise its multi-channel capacity to play me the radio station as well :) - don't intend to use any software / internet radio for 2 reasons; slow internet and only got 256Mb ram :( every bit precious to my work

the bluetooth dongle I use is IVT's Bluesoleil 2.6.0.9 and its got the Bluetooth SCO driver for the headset audio gateway which doesn't seem to pick up the input from line in or tv/tuner ... :(

a solution to the above is exactly what I intend to find

many thanks

Regds

• Moderators
which doesn't seem to pick up the input from line in or tv/tuner ... :(

a solution to the above is exactly what I intend to find

Right squire, now I'm tuned in ( :) ) to exactly what you're trying to achieve and why, I'll come back to you if I find anything. Let us know if you find a solution yourself in the meantime.

I'm sure if any of the other guys have any idea why your bluetooth isn't picking up the signal, they'll post it.

• Moderators

A couple of possibilities here tom.

A tutorial on getting sound through a USB dongle.

Configuring Windows to Use the Bluetooth Headset as an Audio Device:

A hardware solution, using a dedicated Bluetooth Audio Dongle with a 3.5mm jack for the headphone socket on your PC.

Bluetooth Audio Dongle:

Not too expensive, and with Christmas coming up, you could stick this on your letter to the man with the white beard.

Hopefully the tutorial might help.

Heheheh yeah with Christmas coming up I could stick this on my letter to the man with the LONG white beard :)) He's pretty stretched you know.... dunno If he's still got his reindeer, buggered if he doesn't coz the price of gas ain't getting him down under ;) ( New Zealand) Oh by the way the second link was good to know about as regds there being a 3.5mm bluetooth adapter dongle..... though I do require all audio out thru the PC - yep! not going to give up on it now :)) ; besides my headset can only handle 2 stations simultaneously, and one of them will be the cell phone

Got in touch with Bluesoleil only to be told their software needs to have a SN purchased !! absurd! did the hardware manufacturer of the dongle not purchase it of them?? or did they take for granted that it was pirated over the Great Wall ..........

hey thanks for the links, should hope to find a solution.... fingers crossed.

Ta

• Moderators

Tom, I think I'm still missing the point of what your problem is. I must be having senior moments.

Is it just the input that's causing the problem?

The way I'm reading it now is that you can play sounds through your bluetooth dongle to your headset, but for some reason the Line-In where you plug your MP3 player into the PC, is not being picked up and broadcast to your headphones.

If that's the case, the links I gave you are complete rubbish. My fault of course, not yours.

If my befuddled mind has at last recognized the problem, I might have an idea based upon the way I had to set my sound settings up to play my Minidisk through my PC.

Yes Dennis your links were complete rubbish! :))

you got it right mate, its the line-in input which is ...

1) NOT relayed through to my headset (Bluetooth)

The issue being there's no volume control for LINE-IN in Bluetooth SCO mode

2) Seems like most PCs have this generic issue as regards (Line-in) output volume... just so feeble as compared to the Mic socket .... ( at the same mp3 player volume) - Not quite sure if the latest driver would sort it out but so far I've preferred not to tinker with drivers ( if it ain't broke don't fix ....)

Are you able to recall your solution for playing your mini-disk player through your PC (presumably through a bluetooth headset )

• Moderators

Well, they were good links, just for the wrong thing unfortunately. :D

I haven't forgotten this one tom, but finding something other than VAC isn't very easy. When I had my minidisk connected up, it was straight through to my headphones via "Line In" on the rear of my PC, to the headphone jack on the front, not to USB.

The only thing I had to do was set recording to "Line In".

t441_Vac3.jpg

I assumed all you would need to do next was set the output, in the dropdown box above, to "Bluetooth", but it doesn't appear to be as easy as that, and without having a Bluetooth setup, I couldn't actually try it.

I'll keep looking, but let me know if you get it sorted.