Deleted Desktop Items

Dan20151

Has anyone had experience with CCleaner deleting all data associated with the current user? Perhaps I did something wrong, but on the first day I downloaded and used CCleaner, I restarted the PC and a DOS command came up and deleted all user data, desktop, my documents, application data, etc. If I screwed up in accepting a setting within CCleaner shame on me, but I installed a few other products at the same time and I want to make sure it is not something malicious in another program. Norton's EPP and Malwarebytes came up clean.

If I screwed it up, any idea where within CCleaner I did it.

• Moderators

Yeah I don't think it was CCleaner but just incase where di you get CCleaner from (hopefully here but if you didn't you may have been tricked into downloading a fake CCleaner)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Yeah I don't think it was CCleaner but just incase where di you get CCleaner from (hopefully here but if you didn't you may have been tricked into downloading a fake CCleaner)

I followed a link from MSN to cnet and downloaded it from there. What sucks is that I did back up the registry, but I put it into my documents which got deleted.

I followed a link from MSN to cnet and downloaded it from there. What sucks is that I did back up the registry, but I put it into my documents which got deleted.

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the Forums. :lol:

Sorry for the reason, though.

First hard lesson about downloading for some people.

Only download software from the authors website or his provided official mirror sites.

This problem has occurred several times in the past month for various software.

I don't know why MSN would be referring you to Cnet for a CCleaner download instead of referring you directly to CCleaner.com .

You are the victim of a very malicious program and/or person. Software can be planted and it won't run until your next startup.

Your copy of CCleaner may have been entirely clean. Your PC maybe entirely clean now. BUT, you need some professional advice from the Spyware Hell Forum. The malicious program may have erased itself but who knows. I don't know what may happen to other users when they log on. You need Professional advice before you get "screwed" again. You may want to post with your story first before trying anything else on that PC. You were definitely "screwed" maybe from closer than you think. I am not sure.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=17457

Good luck,

:) davey