Memory change?

bob_mb_ca

I've recently noticed that CCleaner is no longer showing that my computer has 1.0GB RAM, instead it's shows 0.98GB ... any suggestions on how I might check my system for a problem?? Has some of my memory failed? Where can I get more information about how CCleaner populates the system information at the top of the CCleaner window? I've been using CCleaner for a while now, think it's a great product, thnx.

I cant find any documentation regarding whats displayed for the system information. How much ram does your system report? Right click my computer select properties. Also are you using XP? Or...? Im pretty sure if a memory module goes bad you would know it. Especially if yours is a 512+512.

Have you installed any new updates/drivers? More than likely its a change in CC thats causing the miscalcuation.

Edit: You can also use MSInfo to get more information about your system: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308549

I cant find any documentation regarding whats displayed for the system information. How much ram does your system report? Right click my computer select properties. Also are you using XP? Or...? Im pretty sure if a memory module goes bad you would know it. Especially if yours is a 512+512.

Have you installed any new updates/drivers? More than likely its a change in CC thats causing the miscalcuation.

Edit: You can also use MSInfo to get more information about your system: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308549

Hi Disk4mat, I'm using XP Pro, ver 5, sp3. When I right click 'my computer', select 'properties', the general tab shows 0.99 GB of ram. MS Sys Info shows 1,024.00 MB. Windows Task Manager shows 1,039,340 K. Thnx, Bob

Task manager and My Comp is reporting less than 1 GB. Sys Info seems correct at 1024 MB. Do you recall if prior to SP3 the amount of ram reported was correct?

Also have you checked with the manufac. of your pc for a BIOS update since the release of SP3?

Your video adapter probably uses some of the RAM.

My XP Pro system has 768MB RAM but CCleaner shows 759MB RAM and System Properties shows 760MB RAM and Belarc shows 760 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'J4' has 512 MB

Slot 'J5' has 256 MB

Slot 'J15' is Empty

Slot 'J16' is Empty

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Your video adapter probably uses some of the RAM.

My XP Pro system has 768MB RAM but CCleaner shows 759MB RAM and System Properties shows 760MB RAM and Belarc shows 760 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'J4' has 512 MB

Slot 'J5' has 256 MB

Slot 'J15' is Empty

Slot 'J16' is Empty

Thnx Kenny - Bob

Task manager and My Comp is reporting less than 1 GB. Sys Info seems correct at 1024 MB. Do you recall if prior to SP3 the amount of ram reported was correct?

Also have you checked with the manufac. of your pc for a BIOS update since the release of SP3?

Disk4mat - Agree Sys info looks ok, but Task Mang and My Comp seem off. Interesting comment by Kenny, but even if some memory is dedicated to the graphic system, it should still be "there". Starting to think BIOS does have something to do with it. Not a big deal, just wondering how CCleaner was getting it's info. Thnx, Bob

CC gets its info from OS.

Im glad Kenny posted his numbers. I noticed what you guys have in common, is that CC is reporting just shy of what Sys Properties reports (and thats not accurate either). The slight variance between CC's number and Sys Prop can be explained.

CC gets its info from OS.

Im glad Kenny posted his numbers. I noticed what you guys have in common, is that CC is reporting just shy of what Sys Properties reports (and thats not accurate either). The slight variance between CC's number and Sys Prop can be explained.

On my old PIII with a RAGE 128 PRO Ultra GL video adapter with its own RAM and 512MB RAM installed both CCleaner and System Properties report the full 512MB RAM installed.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

On my old PIII with a RAGE 128 PRO Ultra GL video adapter with its own RAM and 512MB RAM installed both CCleaner and System Properties report the full 512MB RAM installed.

My XP Pro system have 768MB RAM as well (512 + 256)

System Properties show 768

Everest Ultimate Edition show 767

CCleaner show 767

:)

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy

Ok Bob here's a quick check for you.

Download my Memory_Checker.zip Post #17. It will show the memory available, free memory and show your system resources. If memory available doesn't come slightly over 1.0GB then you have other resources using you system memory, this could be your graphics card.

Now I read a post the other day saying something like CC uses a lot of memory. I've run Memory Checker then run CC and the resources only drop by 1%. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Hi All, my GF has CC. She's running XP pro, sp3, and Google Chrome browser (very cool !!). CC (ver 2.07); it shows 1.0G, Sys Prop shows P4 3.00hz, then says is it's 2.99Ghz, with 0.99 GB of RAM (round off ??). System info (msinfo32.exe) shows total physical mem 1,024.00 MB. So, no issues on her machine, which is the same as mine

I've been using CCleaner for a while now, think it's a great product, thnx.

Hi Bob,

I was asked if I might have any insight.

The only insight I could have provided was the fact that I spent hours downloading some HP crap so I could uninstall it properly. When I went to install it, it conveniently informed me that I only had 254 MB of RAM instead of 256 MB that I said it had and it refused to install.

My good opinion of HP was slightly affected by that event. :P

My CCleaner always reports 256 MB. So does my System info and all system checkers like MS and Belarc and a few others.

Where HP got 254 MB, I have no idea.

Go figure !!! :lol:

:) davey