major problem resulting from converting FAT 32 to NTFS

razz

I don't know if anyone can help regarding the following problem but, if you

can, I really need your help this time guys.

Because my PC used to operate with ME and was updated to XP Home, my filing

system was FAT 32. Due to the fact that NTFS is a better system, I decided

to convert from FAT 32 to NTFS using the XP built-in converter. All went

well except for one major problem...after startup and after approx. 3 to 5

minutes, a blue screen appears that reads: "a problem has been detected and

windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

BAD_POOL_HEADER" then the message goes on telling you lots more regarding

uninstalling any recent programs etc. (there has been no real recent

programs and naturally this error is caused by something to do with the

conversion).

I tried rebooting many times and the same problem keeps happening. After

approx 3-5 minutes it reverts to the same blue screen message in ALL

circumstances..i.e.. If I log on as normal or if I don't log on and don't do

anything.

If anyone can help solve this problem it would be very, very much appreciated.

Needless to say, I am able to write to you because I am using my wife's

computer.

Thank you so much for your time!

• Moderators

You may want to try this, albeit I have no ideal if it's related or if it will even help:

• Disable your anti-virus, and anti-spyware real-time protection.
  • Enable Windows Firewall, then disable any third-party firewall you have installed.

Other than that perhaps the next time you install XP make sure you have it format the disk using NTFS.

Sounds like some memory corruption.

Is there a Stop Code associated with the error message?

Does the error message reference a specific file name?

Can you get a stable bootup in Safe Mode?

The mesaage tells me "BAD_POOL_HEADER" and the stop code technical info is "0x00000019,(0x00000020, 0x8256C000, 0x8256CA00, 0x08400000)

I got into Safe Mode thru msconfig (hitting F8 during startup didn't work) but aftre logon it goes back to that same blue screen error message aftre approx. 3 minutes. Note: when not in Safe Mode the time period is approx. 7 minutes (almost twice as long).

Any ideas?

You may want to try this, albeit I have no ideal if it's related or if it will even help:

• Disable your anti-virus, and anti-spyware real-time protection.

• Enable Windows Firewall, then disable any third-party firewall you have installed.

Other than that perhaps the next time you install XP make sure you have it format the disk using NTFS.

I was able to power up thru Safe Mode and after log on nothing loaded except for the desktop icons - i.e. my antivirus, anti-spyware real time protection and Zone Alarm did not start. Therefore I assume this is the same as disabling them, corect? Anyway, the same thing happened, goes to blue screen error message after approx. 3 minutes.

Your help is appreciated!

Try disabling Indexing Service with msconfig as per post at 09-12-2004, 03:13 AM:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f34/bad_pool_header-18119

Google is your friend.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Try disabling Indexing Service with msconfig as per post at 09-12-2004, 03:13 AM:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f34/bad_pool_header-18119

Google is your friend.

Tried that, didn't work :-( but thank you for your advice

Razz,

Unless you get lucky, nailing this problem down could be a long and tedious process. Maybe you should look at a clean reinstall of Windows XP and as Andavari suggests, let it convert to NTFS.

Having said that, I'm still leaning toward memory corruption by some software driver. To determine the cause it probably would be better if your computer always crashed during boot up instead of staying up a varying amount of time but Murphy rules.

It will only cost you a little time, so try this.

Boot in Safe Mode and select Enable Bootlogging.

Windows will start normally and will (should) create a log file called Ntbtlog.txt in your C:\Windows directory.

This file lists the names and status of all drivers loaded into memory. If the problem is a faulty driver, the last entry in the file may identify it.

After your PC crashes, you can reboot in Safe Mode again to look at the Ntbtlog.txt file.

Depending on the timing of the crash, there are some instances when the log file won't be written to the disk, but its worth a shot.

Razz,

Unless you get lucky, nailing this problem down could be a long and tedious process. Maybe you should look at a clean reinstall of Windows XP and as Andavari suggests, let it convert to NTFS.

Having said that, I'm still leaning toward memory corruption by some software driver. To determine the cause it probably would be better if your computer always crashed during boot up instead of staying up a varying amount of time but Murphy rules.

It will only cost you a little time, so try this.

Boot in Safe Mode and select Enable Bootlogging.

Windows will start normally and will (should) create a log file called Ntbtlog.txt in your C:\Windows directory.

This file lists the names and status of all drivers loaded into memory. If the problem is a faulty driver, the last entry in the file may identify it.

After your PC crashes, you can reboot in Safe Mode again to look at the Ntbtlog.txt file.

Depending on the timing of the crash, there are some instances when the log file won't be written to the disk, but its worth a shot.

Larry, thank you for the advice, now it seems my PC goes to blue screen after approx. 3 minutes. I also can only get into safe mode thru msconfig. You think that 3 minutes is long enough to accomplish the task you recommended? For it to be a faulty driver, would this mean that the driver just happen to go bad when I did the convertion or was it caused by the conversion?

Its difficult to say for sure. A bad pool error can be caused by an illegal memory operation. Defective hardware can cause it but it is typically caused by software. If you have installed any new hardware lately you could remove it to see if it affects anything.

When you upgraded from ME to XP, did you run the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor? It should have been one of the options on the XP setup cd. The advisor would have listed any concerns about software and hardware compatibilities going from ME to XP.

Many ME programs and hardware drivers aren?t compatible with XP. Windows ME cannot access files on a NTFS volume and the problem might be when the upgrade to XP was done, perhaps some critical software was not updated or was corrupted and it didn?t rear its ugly head until you converted files to NTFS.

If this is the case, you may have to do a clean install of XP to set things right. A clean install would cover more bases with the exception of faulty hardware. But bear in mind, this is just a best guess on my part. Perhaps other forum members may have a less painful solution.

(1) I have an XP Upgrade CD (I used to have ME and upgraded to XP several years ago).

Is it best to use this CD again or buy a new XP CD and install that?

The upgrade CD will only work on a system with an old version of Windows installed I believe so you will be working with a FAT32 Formatted hard drive to start with and unless the upgrade CD provides the option to change the hard drive to NTFS then you will be back in the same situation you are now.

2) I gather that if I want to use the XP Upgrade CD then I cannot wipeout everything on ?C? drive (is this correct?), but if I do decide to use a new XP CD, is it best to totally wipe out everything on ?C? drive before installing XP?
I do not know the intricacies of the upgrade process but if it wants to wipe everything in order to make the hard drive NTFS then let it as you indicate that you have your needed data on E:

(3) If I do want to wipe out everything on "C" drive. What would you recommend to accomplish this task (a built in utility, a utility I could download from online, a utility I could purchase in a store, or some other means)?
The update CD should take care of wiping out the old data.

4) Is it a problem to conduct this clean install if I currently only get 3 minutes before the blue screen appears (i.e. will the XP CD override my blue screen problem)?
Remove all hardware that is not needed for installation such as printers and USB devices.

By the way, what are the specifications of the hardware that you are trying to install this OS on?

Motherboard, CPU, speed, RAM, hard drive type and model?

(5) Where is it best to get step-by-step instruction on installing XP, or is it very self-explanatory within the CD installation?
It is step by step and self-explanatory

6) IMPORTANT: Is there any way that an install can get buggered (by me not doing it correctly) to the extent that its no longer possible to install XP?
Only if you mess up the ME install and the XP update CDs that have the original holographic images and 25 digit key numbers on their cases by letting your cat or dog chew on them or eating pizza while handling the CDs.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

good news...now my PC is NOT going to blue screen and staying up. Here is the current situation: Not sure why, but due to the problem, ALL startup programs had been disabled --EXCEPT-- for one, "dumprep 0-k". I unticked the box (disabled it) then rebooted and now there is no blue screen (my PC has been on about 50 minutes now). Also, within the services tab, there are only 2 things running, "Remote Procedure Call" and "DCOM Server Process Launcher yes". Under the General tab in msconfig, the Startup Selection is "Diagnostic Startup".

Should I now tick all startup programs except "dumprep 0-k" and reboot and see what happens? I will wait for a response because I don't want to screw anything up at this stage :-) Also, what should I do about all the services that are unticked?

Please stick to ONE topic as this will get very confusing as to what has been done.

IE7Pro user

Hi YoKenny,

First, thank you for your easy-to-follow reply.

By the way, what are the specifications of the hardware that you are trying to install this OS on?

Motherboard, CPU, speed, RAM, hard drive type and model?

I may not need to give you this info due to latest developments in my saga...I just posted my current situation (as you saw).

Only if you mess up the ME install and the XP update CDs that have the original holographic images and 25 digit key numbers on their cases by letting your cat or dog chew on them or eating pizza while handling the CDs.

Are you saying I need to reinstall ME as well if I do indeed need to reinstall XP. Hopefully having no blue screen appearing now will give me time to resolve the problem without a clean XP install...with lots of suggestions to help find how to get 100% again.

Thnaks for your time!

Please stick to ONE topic as this will get very confusing as to what has been done.

Just trying to keep anyone reading up-to-date with my current status. I felt that not going to blue screen is great news for me because now hopefully , with help, I can isolate the problem and fix it.