Cool Edit 2000 meets 2008

Corona

I successfully got my Cool Edit 2000 and its Studio plug-in running again! Guess when the last time it worked for me was. Look at its name. Actually I think it stopped working in 2001 when I switched to XP. Not that WinME was all that wonderful, but the program did work under it.

It's soooo cool that I have this going again. (Hey, I did pay for it after all.) I can record & edit multiple tunes and clips like a 4 track studio with tons of effects & such. If you Google this app all you'll get are old board messages of people crying that the app is no longer usable and there's nothing like it at all anymore. My secret was finding my old floppy disk with the registration code file in it. But my PC no longer could read that file. :angry: (This isn't because my PC doesn't recognize the drive, it does recognize it. It just refused to read the file saying basically that it was gibberish.)

So I uploaded it from my sis's PCs' floppy drive to 4Shared (an internet file storing service), downloaded it back into my PC and burned it onto a CD. Bingo, it works. :P

I gotta find a safe place for that CD with the registration code. Maybe I'll burn several of them just in case. I'm just glad I got a really fun app back after so many years.

The last time I played with this app I recorded a Pink Floyd mix with Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Fearless, Echoes(jam), Pigs, and more Diamond. The real fun part was blending the songs together and lifting pieces of Floyd noises and subliminally placing them in other songs. And the Beatles 'Tomorrow Never Knows' got a noticeable slow-down as it played along (without reducing pitch). Talk about 'dead'. :lol: Even without manipulation it's the best way to edit when songs start after one another. They can be perfectly on beat.

• Moderators

I bought a copy of it years ago, and it gave me no grief on Win98. However on WinXP it crashed too much on my system so I gave up on it, then they sold it to Adobe and it became Adobe Audition. I'm perfectly happy with Audacity, however I wish it had more advanced features, but at least it never crashes.

Right now it seems to be working with no problems for me. Certainly not as buggy as when I first changed from ME to XP. (I changed my system to Fat32 later on after CE2000 stopped working. That might explain some of this. :huh: )

That's right, it 'became' Adobe Audition. Nice to know I got it for $80 instead of $350. ;)