Full Stop

Corona

Some programs need total silence to work properly, or as quiet as a system can possibly be. Like when you're recording or burning or whatever. You'd think some security app companies would REMEMBER such tiny details as this. But. You know. They're idiots.

Is there a way of turning off free Avasts' and A2frees' Task Manager processes without uninstalling them? I haven't seen any override commands within the programs themselves. (I think the same applies to Adaware but I don't have that installed.)

Some programs need total silence to work properly, or as quiet as a system can possibly be. Like when you're recording or burning or whatever. You'd think some security app companies would REMEMBER such tiny details as this. But. You know. They're idiots.

Is there a way of turning off free Avasts' and A2frees' Task Manager processes without uninstalling them? I haven't seen any override commands within the programs themselves. (I think the same applies to Adaware but I don't have that installed.)

Try going Windows Services and disabling them there.

With Avast you can disable many of the process form the system tray icon if you right click on it and use the menu that pops up.

• Moderators

There's a much quicker and more convenient way with Avasts "ON Access" Scanner UI.

Left click the sys tray icon, and you can pause each provider with one click, and start them again the same way.

The top red marked item is a2free. The other 4 are Avast.

th_avastthingy.jpg

I turned off On-Access Protection. That disables all Providers I had running. VRDB is already off.

th_Avastthingy2.jpg

a2free is still on of course. But you can see 3 Avast processes still running instead of 4.

th_Avastthingy3.jpg

The only process turned off was ashWebSv.exe.

I'll try that Services thing Anthony mentioned.

I found a2, no problem. I found 4 Avast entries. (1 of them I don't use, it's the Mail protection service, so that's always off.)

So I stopped a2 and the 3 active Avast services.

(Yes, this pic shows those Services already stopped.)

th_Avastthingy4.jpg

And Task Manager shows 1 Avast process still active. (ashDisp.exe) I have no idea what this is. It's not in Services, I checked the whole list.

th_Avastthingy5.jpg

Sssshhhhhh (whisper) I know you may be recording or burning something. I will be as quiet as I can.

Just remember those idiots can't do what you want or all the "bad guy" programs would be dressed up like "burning software" or "recording software". :lol::) davey

P.S. Thanks for the heads up. I have not done much "recording" or "burning". I didn't know that.

all the "bad guy" programs would be dressed up like "burning software" or "recording software"

You mean like Musicbox or RealPlayer? :lol:

And there's other things that need silence, like partitioning, and hunting for wabbits.

I tried burning my CoolEdit2000 registration file from a floppy onto a CD on another PC earlier because my PC won't even recognize its own floppy drive anymore. (In the hopes I can re-awaken my old bought version of CoolEdit2000, possibly the best low-end mixer/recorder ever made on this planet.)

And if I get that running I need a silent pooter to run it in. It's really built for 98 and ME. If I had some extra dough I'd buy me a new XP pooter so I could transform this one back into its 98/ME system.

You mean like Musicbox or RealPlayer? :lol:

And there's other things that need silence, like partitioning, and hunting for wabbits.

And if I get that running I need a silent pooter to run it in. It's really built for 98 and ME. If I had some extra dough I'd buy me a new XP pooter so I could transform this one back into its 98/ME system.

Yeah, I guess you could put those in the "bad guy" category but they are manufacturer installed "viruses".

You have given me some good thoughts. I wonder if in some of the A/V options I can mark those as "bad guys" and get rid of them that way. :lol:

Wabbits are for loving :wub: One of my favorite house pets was a female wabbit. It had a wonderful time playing games with my other pets.

It was a self trained guard wabbit. I believe it would have sacrificed itself to protect the family and other pets.

Luckily the English pointer would take over as needed. Seldom though. An "attack wabbit" can be pretty threatening when you don't expect it. :lol:

What are your BIOS settings as regards that floppy ?

Andavari can give you some great info on recording and burning. Do some forum "searching" and you will find a "treasure trove" of info.

:) davey

Yeah, I guess you could put those in the "bad guy" category but they are manufacturer installed "viruses".

You have given me some good thoughts. I wonder if in some of the A/V options I can mark those as "bad guys" and get rid of them that way. :lol:

Wabbits are for loving :wub: One of my favorite house pets was a female wabbit. It had a wonderful time playing games with my other pets.

It was a self trained guard wabbit. I believe it would have sacrificed itself to protect the family and other pets.

Luckily the English pointer would take over as needed. Seldom though. An "attack wabbit" can be pretty threatening when you don't expect it. :lol:

What are your BIOS settings as regards that floppy ?

Andavari can give you some great info on recording and burning. Do some forum "searching" and you will find a "treasure trove" of info.

I don't hunt wabbits. That was a Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd reference to old Looney Toon cartoons. I love rabbits. And a lot of other animals.

th_0718081603.jpg

That's my sisters' raccoon. I visited and met him a few weeks ago.

My BIOS settings regarding the floppy? I'm sorry, you must've made up words that don't exist in my brain yet. :blink: I'm clueless when it comes to deep understandings of PC innards. I know very little in that regard. How would I find this info out?

I

My BIOS settings regarding the floppy? I'm sorry, you must've made up words that don't exist in my brain yet. :blink: I'm clueless when it comes to deep understandings of PC innards. I know very little in that regard. How would I find this info out?

It is probably my terminology causing the confusion.

My PC responds to F2 when I boot and I enter a Start up session where I can check and reset some of my BIOS information.

Yours may be perfectly OK! However you can enable/disable a lot of different things and on some PCs this changes the BIOS settings in your PC.

You should probably check you Tweak tools first to see if you have disabled that floppy. This can happen and then you reset some Registry setting manually or with software and it doesn't come back to "haunt" you until you use that tool again. I am talking about tools like TweahUI or similar things. Accidents do happen.

Of course it was a learning experience for me when my first introduction to PC internals was trying to do a clean Re-install (if that term is correct) for a friend with WinXP Media Center Dual Core and RAID and all that good stuff.

P.S. I must give credit to the very patient 20 year old college lady in Manilla who was my Dell assistant in this matter. Dell has always been very good to me. This "newbie" learned a lot from that experience. Dell is still OK with me.

• Moderators

Forgot to mention, the most reliable way to burn anything is to be not too impatient to get the job done.

A lot of failed burns are due to burning at high speed. With DVD's for example, I usually burn them at a maximum of X4.

There are other factors, such as?the condition of your Optical Drives, the disks you are using, the software you're burning with, but you'll give the process a fighting chance if you don't burn too quickly.

Just my opinion of course.

Edit: ashdisp.exe is responsible for the UI display of Avast. The tray icon, the Resident Protection UI. I would suggest not turning it off.