Is this true?

tcoffeep

Note: You may have noticed that Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor, Spybot, and Ad-Aware are not mentioned in this guide. At one time all of them were considered premier tools. A lot has changed over the years, and all have inferior detection/removal capabilities compared to the programs and tools that are listed above. Please do not waste your time using them.

Taken from [

Elitekiller.com]

I was told, even today, that Spybot is still good for catching the sneaky ones, and it's saved my ass on a few occasions. As well as Ad-aware. This excerpt confuses me.

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

I was told, even today, that Spybot is still good for catching the sneaky ones, and it's saved my ass on a few occasions. As well as Ad-aware. This excerpt confuses me.

Hi Coffee,

I think you are being confused because you have gone beyond the best general advice you can get here.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=11000 Follow the advice listed here and the related links and you can't go wrong.

This is all most people need until you get into another level of malware detection and removal.

This next level is getting very technical and specialized.This is the level that is confusing you.

This level is where people like our own advisor and Spyware Hell and Help moderators like Tony Klein and the others are the Masters and Experts.

Don't worry about this as much as increasing your knowledge and use of back-up software and hardware.

Best wishes,

:) davey

I used both Ad-Aware and Spybot on an infected computer yesterday, Ad-Aware never found anything, Spybot did and supposedly removed the bad item.

Scanned with AVG and that did remove the bad item.

I think both Ad-Aware and Spybot have gone downhill drastically, considering they were the only ones to use at first when spyware was first making an appearance.

I mostly agree with the article and use all of the tools mentioned in his rogue cleanup toolkit along with a couple of others when cleaning up other machines.

I don't use Spyware Blaster as it bloats the registry with several thousand entries.

Disk Heal and Flash Disinfector along with AVZ Anti Viral Rootkit are a couple of handy tools I use as well.

On my own machines I don't use any blacklist scanners preferring my Sandboxie/Returnil/Ghost Images setups on all of my Vista/XP installs.

But it's really up to the user.If you're happy with your setup then stick with it.