Annoyingly persistent old Recuva progs

QuasiMobo

I have close to zip experience using Recuva, so cut me a little slack here. Somehow I have managed to get two copies of Recuva in my system (Vista). After an HP NVIDIA driver update scrambled my desktop icons, I noticed identical Recuva icons side by side. One simply said Recuva, but the other icon had been edited (probably months ago by me) to say File Restore. They are BOTH version 1.15.327.

I uninstalled one copy with Revo Uninstaller, or so I thought. Revo doesn't show Recuva anymore, and neither does Microsoft's "Programs and Features" listing under Control Panel. But, puzzlingly, both icons still appear on my Desktop after a reboot, and both still click to copies of Recuva 1.15.327.

I'd like to get rid of both of these ghouls and install a fresh copy of Recuva's latest incarnation. Any suggestions?

• Moderators

Are these actual short cut icons leading to recuva (you know with the little black arrow on the icon showing it's a shortcut)

If they are perhaps if you right-click on each one and choose properties it may show you where the actual program is under 'target'. Then try deleting it from there.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Are these actual short cut icons leading to recuva (you know with the little black arrow on the icon showing it's a shortcut)

If they are perhaps if you right-click on each one and choose properties it may show you where the actual program is under 'target'. Then try deleting it from there.

They are indeed the shortcut icons, and they both summoned up the full program when clicked, even after I "uninstalled" one copy by using Revo Uninstaller, as mentioned earlier. Neither copy showed on Revo or the Vista uninstall page after that.

However, some progress has since been made, I'm happy to say. I finally realized I hadn't used the search function under the Start button, and voila - I found a listing for Recuva's Program File. I then deleted that entry, and one icon + program disappeared.

Thanks for illuminating the point about 'target.' I had never before used the Right Click for that purpose.

Now here's a (sort of) tip for you, hazelnut! Right after I bought this laptop and decrapified the junk HP had loaded it up with, I stumbled upon a utility that removes the "little black arrow" from the Desktop shortcut icons. It's still running on my computer, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it's called. If you like, I'll try to hunt it down if you want to try it. I installed the utility because that 'little black arrow' is often an ugly blemish on an otherwise nice-looking icon. Just esthetics, that's all.

They are indeed the shortcut icons, and they both summoned up the full program when clicked, even after I "uninstalled" one copy by using Revo Uninstaller, as mentioned earlier. Neither copy showed on Revo or the Vista uninstall page after that.

However, some progress has since been made, I'm happy to say. I finally realized I hadn't used the search function under the Start button, and voila - I found a listing for Recuva's Program File. I then deleted that entry, and one icon + program disappeared.

Thanks for illuminating the point about 'target.' I had never before used the Right Click for that purpose.

Now here's a (sort of) tip for you, hazelnut! Right after I bought this laptop and decrapified the junk HP had loaded it up with, I stumbled upon a utility that removes the "little black arrow" from the Desktop shortcut icons. It's still running on my computer, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it's called. If you like, I'll try to hunt it down if you want to try it. I installed the utility because that 'little black arrow' is often an ugly blemish on an otherwise nice-looking icon. Just esthetics, that's all.

Hello QuasiMobo,

Sometimes esthetics can cause you troubles.Since you are using Vista it can cause you more grief.You may be referring to another program but the reasoning behind not removing those arrows still applies.This may explain 2 copies.1 where it belongs and the other on your Desktop.

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=700353

Best wishes,

:) davey

• Moderators

Glad you are sorted now QuasiMobo.

I will pass on the short cut arrow removal though. I find them useful, and as Davey's link shows, it is not considered a good idea.

But as with all computers, it's down to personal preference :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com