delete vs shift-delete

simpleton

Howdy :)

I recently tested Recuva and some other software on an USB-stick. On the stick was some old file which I shift-deleted, so it was not sent to the bin. Then I started the other software and saw some very old files I had deleted months ago whereas Recuva offered both: the file deleted a minute ago plus the old ones.

How come?

Welcome to Piriform simpleton.

First you have to realise what happens when you delete a file. There's a brief description post #7 or do a web search.

The only difference between using Shift or not is without it the file goes into the recycle bin thats all. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Welcome to Piriform simpleton.

First you have to realise what happens when you delete a file. There's a brief description post #7 or do a web search.

The only difference between using Shift or not is without it the file goes into the recycle bin thats all. ;)

Ta, got that. But now back to my question: why does the one app only discover 'deleted' files - months ago! - and Recuva finds both the 'shift-deleted' - a minute ago - and the 'deleted' - months ago?

There must be some sort of a difference (obviously) :huh:

Ta, got that. But now back to my question: why does the one app only discover 'deleted' files - months ago! - and Recuva finds both the 'shift-deleted' - a minute ago - and the 'deleted' - months ago?

There must be some sort of a difference (obviously) :huh:

It that using a Deep scan or a normal one? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

It that using a Deep scan or a normal one? ;)

Just opening the drive and looking at it. It was even an USB-stick and I couldn't persuade the other app to see a single thing more than those 'deleted'. Whereas in Recuve all were immediately visible. I repeated that several times (without recovering any) and Recuva was the only one...

So why would that be? :huh:

Sorry to apologize :mellow: ; I am very very new here :unsure: what is

• PM
  • and who is MR. G the maker?

:(:blink::o:rolleyes:

Hello,

Welcome to the forum :D

The difference is probably the better software developed by the Recuva programming staff.

Please do not send any Personal Messages just yet.

MrRon will probably be able to give his information.

Please wait for his reply.

Best wishes,

:) davey

The difference is probably the better software developed by the Recuva programming staff

Pardon me :rolleyes: , but I did have an inkling it might be something like that ;) . Alas I suffer from a very severe character deformation: I want to know :mellow:

See, there are so many rumors about so many things around because so many people said something to the effect that... Imagine, Aristotle believed that an object catapulted to a distance reached it's zenith in a straight line and only then dropped down perpendicularly. It was Galileo and some other Italian mathematician who proved him wrong :lol: .

If, what I am asking, is beyond my possible understanding, I am willing to accept that. But I will give it a hard try, yes, sir!

Of course I will wait patiently... :blink:

And very curiously...

• Moderators

Perhaps the only response is that nobody here knows. We don't know what the other software is, and even if we did we could only make observations based on the behaviour of the software, just as we do with Recuva. We will always be observing from the outside.

I guess that your flash drive is FAT? How old is the other software? Were the files deleted months ago done on the same pc/op sys? I also guess that there's some glitch in the older software that's misinterpreting the size of the flash drive or the file organisation. Actually I haven't a clue.

Incidentally Keith the other difference between shift/del and the recycler is that files sent to the recycler and then deleted are renamed, and can caused confusion, but this doesn't seem to be relevant here.

OK :) I do accept that. The 'other' software is an uptodate recovery programme too and it is the very same PC and OS. The filesystem is fat32 and I guess, there is no simple answer, obviously.

So thanks very much for all the hints :D