Mouse help please!

slowday444

So my left and right mouse buttons suddenly died! The cursor moved and I forgot to try the middle scroll button. I hadn't used the PC for over an hour and then when I went to start a session it was dead. I used the tower to shutdown, hoping that I'd accidentally hit some key during the last session and that did work. What key, keys could I have used to shutdown its functionality or any other theories? Forgot to try the escape key by the way. Thank You!

Hit the Windows (Start) and R keys to bring up the run box.

Type " shutdown.exe -s -t 00 " - enter, no quotes, for shutdown

" shutdown.exe -r -t 00 " for restart.

You could also make a new shortcut to the above commands on desktop and use the arrow keys to select and hit enter.

Shortcut commands

Hit the Windows (Start) and R keys to bring up the run box.

Type " shutdown.exe -s -t 00 " - enter, no quotes, for shutdown

" shutdown.exe -r -t 00 " for restart.

You could also make a new shortcut to the above commands on desktop and use the arrow keys to select and hit enter.

Shortcut commands

Thanks Humpty, very good to know to avoid the whole memory dump shutdown issue. Any theories on what disabled the mouse?

Did the pc come out of hibernation or standby?

Another way to change the setting of a hard shutdown with the power button is Control Panel - Power Options - Advanced tab - and in the "When I press the power button on my computer" drop down menu you can select "Ask me what to do" - Apply, which will give you the normal shutdown prompt menu after hitting the power button which can be toggled through with the arrow keys.

Edit:

Can anyone remember whether pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del two times in succession with Windows 98 used to shutdown the machine? :unsure:

• Moderators

If it's a wired mouse you can try unplugging it, and plugging it back in - both when the computer is on and when it's off.

If it's a wireless mouse typically when they stop working it means the batteries are dead. I had that happen recently, and it took a little while for me to figure out it was the batteries.

If it's a wired mouse you can try unplugging it, and plugging it back in - both when the computer is on and when it's off.

If it's a wireless mouse typically when they stop working it means the batteries are dead. I had that happen recently, and it took a little while for me to figure out it was the batteries.

Nope, it's wired, W XP. PC is like four years old but have never had any issues except what I caused testing software. There were a few anti-malware updates early this morning but I'm sure that wasn't it. When I ended the browsing session prior to this mystery everything was normal. All I know is the reboot worked.

• Moderators

Hey, you've got me in pain here. :lol: You're supposed to be our Technical Assistant remember. :lol::lol:

• Moderators
Hey, you've got me in pain here. :lol: You're supposed to be our Technical Assistant remember. :lol::lol:

Laugh all you want. :P I was really scratching my head thinking why doesn't this work anymore, and it felt so yesteryear having to grab a wired mouse to check some things out. Then poof a light bulb went off in the ole brain that said it's the batteries.

Actually the MS mouse software is supposed to tell you when the batteries are low and I think since I was using Lithium batteries that "may have thrown it off," and those high priced batteries didn't last any longer than the normal alkaline variety I typically use.